|July 24||Organized in Amherst County under the command of Captain Thomas J. Kirkpatrick. (A different battery known as the Amherst-Nelson Battery was organized in September of 1861 under Captain Woodville Latham.)|
|November||Assigned to Reserve Artillery of the Potomac District, Department of Northern Virginia.|
|May 15||The battery reorganized.|
|April-May||Siege of Yorktown|
|June||Assigned to Nelson’s Battalion, Artillery, Jackson’s Command, Army of Northern Virginia|
|June 25 – July 1||
Seven Days battles
The battery was posted on the south side of the Potomac ford near Shepherdstown. It was not engaged in the battle. It was equipped with two 12-pounder Napoleons and two 3″ Ordnance rifles.
|October 4||Some men were transferred in from the disbanded Hanover and Middlesex Batteries.|
|June||Assigned to Nelson’s Battalion, Reserve Artillery, 2nd Corps, Army of Northern Virginia|
The battery was commanded by Captain Thomas J. Kirkpatrick..
From the War Department marker on the Gettysburg battlefield:
July 1. The Battery arrived too late on the field to participate in the engagement of the day.
July 2. Took position on Seminary Ridge 1/4 mile north of Chambersburg Pike. About 11 A. M. moved to the rear of Pennsylvania College and remained until night when the Battery returned to the position of the morning.
July 3. Ordered to the extreme left of the Confederate line. At midnight moved with Johnson’s Division to Seminary Ridge.
July 4. Took position on the ridge west of town and at midnight took up the line of march to Hagerstown.
No report of casualties or ammunition expended.
|November-December||Mine Run Campaign|
|June||Lynchburg Campaign. Assigned to Nelson’s Battalion, Artillery, Second Corps, Army of the Valley,|
|March 2, 1865||
Battle of Waynesboro
Most of the men and all of the guns of the battery were captured.