Confederate Regiments & Batteries > Virginia


1861
March 15 Organized in Charlottesville from men of Albemarle County under Captain James McDowell Carrington.
1862
May-June
Shenandoah Valley Campaign
June Attached to Artillery Battalion, Jackson’s Division, Valley District, Department  of Northern Virginia
June 9
Port Republic
June Attached to Taylor’s Brigade, Jackson’s Division, Jackson’s Command, Army  of Northern Virginia
June 25
Seven Days battles
June 27
Gaines’s Mill
July 1
Malvern Hill
July Attached to Nelson’s Battalion, Reserve Artillery, Army  of Northern Virginia
August Attached to Artillery Battalion, Ewell’s Division, Jackson’s Command, Army  of Northern Virginia
November Attached to Artillery Battalion, Early’s Division, 2nd Corps, Army  of Northern Virginia
December 13
Battle of Fredericksburg
1863
May 1-4
Battle of Chancellorsville
June 14-15
Second Battle of Winchester
July 1-4
Battle of Gettysburg

The battery was commanded by by Captain James McDowell Carrington. It was equipped with four 12-pounder Napoleons

From the War Department marker on the battlefield north of Gettysburg:

Army of Northern Virginia
Ewell’s Corps Early’s Division
Jones’ Artillery Battalion Carrington’s Battery
Charlottesville (Virginia) Artillery
Four Napoleons

July 1. Arrived on the field with Early’s Division in the afternoon. Was ordered to cross Rock Creek and move in rear of Gordon’s Brigade then advancing. Went into battery on a street in suburbs of the town and remained until near dark when ordered to a position near the railroad.

July 2. Remained near the railroad. Not engaged.

July 3. Occupied the same position. Not engaged.

July 4. Moved in the rear of Early’s Division.

Casualties not reported.

July Attached to Jones’-Cutshaw’s Battalion, Artillery, 2nd Corps, Army  of Northern Virginia
October Bristoe Campaign
November-December Mine Run Campaign
1864
May 5-6
Battle of The Wilderness
May 8-21
Battle of Spotsylvania Court House

Most of the battery was captured in the “Mule Shoe” salient. Survivors were transferred to the Staunton Artillery.