Snicker’s Gap is a wind gap in the Blue Ridge Mountains between Loudoun County and Clarke County in Virginia. The gap was a major trail for Native Americans. It was originally known by European colonists as William’s Gap. In the late 1700’s it took its present name from Edward Snickers, who owned the gap and operated a ferry across the Shenandoah River on its west side.
The gap reaches an altitude of 1,056 feet. This is about 300 to 600 feet below the main ridgeline and about the same height above the lowlands on both sides.
The Snicker’s Gap Turnpike ran through the gap during the Civil War and was the main route between Loudoun County and the Shenandoah Valley. The turnpike became today’ s Virginia State Route 7.
The Battle of Cool Spring, also known as the Battle of Snicker’s Gap, was fought here on July 17, 1864 between the Confederate Army of the Valley under Jubal Early and Union forces under Horatio Wright. Early was withdrawing to the Shenandoah Valley after his raid on Washington and Wright was pursuing.