“Governor’s Guard”

In April of 1862 legislation changed the designation of militia units to “National Guard.”

1861
April 19 Organized under Colonel Joseph Pinckney, Lieutenant Colonel Samuela Zook and Major Milton Rathbun
April 21 Left the state for Annapolis in the steamship Columbia in company with the steamers Baltic and Cuyler carrying the 12th New York State Militia and the 71st New York State Militia under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Keyes, U.S.A.
April 23 Joined at Fortress Monroe by the U.S. Revenue Cutter Harriet Lane and a ship carrying the 1stĀ Rhode Island Infantry, arriving at Annapolis
April 25 Disembarked under the orders of General Butler. One company occupied Fort Madison
April 30 Mustered into United States service for three months at Annapolis. Assigned to Butler’s Department of Annapolis.
May 1 Detachment of 250 men sent to relieve the 8th New York State Militia at Fort Morgan, on the Baltimore Road
May 12 Colonel Pinckney and the balance of the regiment posted at the Naval Academy, with a detachment at Annapolis Junction
July 29 Relieved by the 1st Pennsylvania Reserves and returned to New York
July 31 Mustered out at New York City

Colonel Pinckney went on to raise and command the 66th New York Infantry and Lieutenant Colonel Zook the 57th New York Infantry

1863
June 22 Mustered in for thirty days United States service under Colonel Joel W. Mason
June 22 Left State for Baltimore, Md. for duty in the Defenses of that city, attached to 2nd and 3rd Separate Brigade, 8th Army Corps, Middle Department
July 22 Mustered out at New York City