Ten regiments of North Carolina State Troops, numbering 1st to 10th, were organised to serve during the war. On May 8, 1861, thirteen regiments of volunteers were organised for twelve months service, numbering 1st to 8th and 10th to 14th. On November 14, 1861, Special Orders No. 222, Adjutant and Inspector General’s Office, Richmond, Henrico County, Virginia, authorised the original ten regiments of state troops to keep their numbering and the volunteers to be redesignated, with 10 added to their numerical designation to fit into the consolidated list. All units were subsequently known as North Carolina State Troops.