Confederate Regiments & BatteriesSouth Carolina

June 12 The combined arms Hampton Legion was organized for one years service with six companies of infantry as well as two companies of cavalry and a company of artillery under the command of Colonel Wade Hampton, Lieutenant Colonel Benjamin Johnson and Major J.B. Griffin. The three components would never operate together. The legion was mustered in at Camp Hampton on the Hampton estate outside Columbia.

The six infantry companies were:

Company A: Washington Light Infantry Volunteers (Charleston), Captain James Conner
Company B: Watson Guards (Edgefield and Abbeville), Captain Martin W. Gary
Company C: Manning Guards (Sumter), Captain B. Manning
Company D: Gist Riflemen (Anderson), Captain H.J. Smith
Company E: Bozeman Guards (Greenville), Captain T.L. Boseman
Company F: Davis Guards (Greenville), Captain J.S. Austin

June 26 Left for Richmond.
July 4 Arrived in Richmond at Camp Manning.
July 19 Left for Manassas but took until July 21 to arrive as the engine needed repair.
July 21
Battle of Manassas (Bull Run)

The legion took part in the fight in Henry House Hill and took part in the capture of Rickett’s Battery. It lost 121 men of the 600 on the field. Colonel Hampton was wounded in the face and Lieutenant Colonel Johnson was killed. Major J.B. Griffin took command of the Legion, and was promoted to lieutenant colonel.

July 25 Assigned to 1st Corps, Army of the Potomac
August 19 The Claremont Rifles (Statesburg) transferred in as Company G under the command of Captain James G. Spann
August 22 The German Volunteers (Charleston) transferred in as Company H
October Assigned to Potomac District, Department of Northern Virginia. Lieutenant Colonel Griffin was struck by lightning and injured.
January-March Assigned to Hampton’s Brigade, Whiting’s Command, Potomac District, Department of Northern Virginia
March-June Assigned to Hampton’s Brigade, Whiting’s-Smith’s Division, Army of Northern Virginia
Siege of Yorktown
April The Legion was reorganized at Yorktown for the duration of rhe war with 658 officers and enlisted men. The cavalry companies were combined with the 4th South Carolina Cavalry Battalion and formed the 2nd South Carolina Cavalry Regiment. The artillery became an independent artillery battery, Hart’s Battery, that converted to horse artillery. The infantry  retained its designation as the Hampton Legion. Lieutenant Colonel Griffin was dropped and Captain Gary was elected lieutenant colonel.
May 7
Eltham’s Landing
May 31-June1
Batte of Seven Pines

The battalion had 350 men on the field, losing 45 men killed and 285 wounded. Colonel Hampton was wounded again, this time in the foot, and Captain T.M. Logan was wounded.

June Assigned to Texas Brigade, Whiting’s Division, Army of Northern Virginia. Captain James Conner was transferred to the 22nd North Carolina Infantry Regiment as its colonel.
June-July Assigned to Texas Brigade, Whiting’s Division, Jackson’s Command, Army of Northern Virginia. Colonel Hampton was promoted to brigadier general. Captain Martin L. Gary was elected lieutenant colonel.
June 25-July 1
Seven Days Battles
June 27
Gaines’s Mill

The battalion lost 20 men.

July Assigned to Texas Brigade, Whiting’s Division, Army of Northern Virginia
July 29 The South Carolina Zouave Volunteers transferred in as the second Company H under the command of Captain L.C. McCord
July-November Assigned to Texas Brigade, Whiting’s-Hood’s Division, Longstreet’s Command, Army of Northern Virginia
August 28-30
Second Battle of Manassas (Bull Run)

The battalion lost 74 men.

September 14
Battle of South Mountain
September 17
Battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam)

The battalion fielded 77 men, with more than half its strength having been reduced by “details for skirmishers, scouts, cooks, and men barefooted, unfit for duty.” It lost 3 officers and 3 enlisted men killed, 3 officers and 46 men wounded. Major J.H. Dingell was killed carrying the colors, along with three color bearers. Captain R.W. Tompkins was killed and Captain H.J. Smith was mortally wounded.

November 11 Two companies, Company I, Captain D.L. Hall and Company K, Captain John H. Bowen, were transferred from the disbanded 4th South Carolina Infantry Battalion, bringing the battalion up to regimental strength. Lieutenant Colonel Gary was promoted to Colonel.
December-February Assigned to Jenkins’s Brigade, D.R. Jones’s-Pickett’s Division, 1st Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
December 13
Battle of Fredericksburg
February-April Assigned to Jenkins’s Brigade, Pickett’s Division, Department of North Carolina and Southern Virginia
April-May Assigned to Jenkins’s Brigade, Pickett’s Division, Department of Southern Virginia
May Assigned to Jenkins’s Brigade, Department of Southern Virginia
May-June Assigned to Jenkins’s Brigade, Department of North Carolina
July Assigned to Jenkins’s Brigade, Department of Richmond. The regiment would guard Richmond during the Gettysburg campaign.
July-September Assigned to Jenkins’s Brigade, Ransom’s Division, Department of Richmond
September-November The regiment transferred to the west with Longstreet, assigned to Jenkins’s Brigade, Hood’s Division, Longstreet’s Corps, Army of Tennessee. It arrived too late for the Battle of Chickamauga.
October 28-29
Battle of Wauhatchee

The regiment lost 85 men.

November-March Assigned to Jenkins’s Brigade, Hood’s-Field’s Division, Department of East Tennessee
Siege of Knoxville
March 18 Returned to the Eastern Theater. Mounted and equipped as mounted infantry with rifles and bayonets, generally fighting on foot.
May-June Assigned to Cavalry, Department of Richmond
May 19 Colonel Gary was promoted to brigadier general. Thomas A. Logan took over as colonel.
Siege of Petersburg

Assigned to Gary’s Brigade, Department of Richmond

September 19 New Market Heights
September 30 Roper’s Farm
January-April Assigned to Gary’s Brigade, F. Lee’s Division, Cavalry Corps, Army of Nortern Virginia
February 15 Colonel Logan was promoted to brigadier general. Lieutenant Colonel Robert B. Arnold took command of the regiment.
April 6 Sayler’s Creek
April 9
Appomattox Court House

The regiment surrendered 238 officers and men under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Arnold.