Confederate Regiments & Batteries > South Carolina

February 8-
April 16
Organized near Richmond from men from the 4th, 5th and 9th South Carolina Infantry under Colonel Micah Jenkins, Lieutenant Colonel Joseph Walker and Major William Anderson. Assigned to Anderson’s Brigade, Longstreet’s Division, Magruder’s Command.
April 17-May 4 Siege of Yorktown
May 5
Battle of Williamsburg

Held Fort Magruder along with the 5th South Carolina Infantry. After the defending the fort all day against determined Union attacks and losing 29 men, the regiment withdrew under cover of night.

May 27
Bever Dam Creek

The regiment was in reserve and suffered no casualties.

May 31-
June 1
Seven Pines (Fair Oaks)

The Palmettos were engaged in heavy fighting, capturing 3 Union camps, 3 pieces of artillery and two caissons, and the enemy flags and losing 244 men. Eleven of the twelve men of the color guard were shot down.

June 27
Battle of Gaines Mill

The regiment lost 9 men killed, 74 wounded and 13 missing in a firefight with the 16th Michigan and 82nd Pennsylvania, capturing the colonel and the colors of the 16th Michigan and a large number of men.

June 29  Marched via New Bridge and Darbytown road
June 29  Resumed march, encountered enemy around noon at Frayser’s Farm and drove in their skirmishers.
June 30
Battle of Frayser’s Farm (Glendale)

The regiment took part in the afternoon attack on Federal artillery. They drove back the Union brigade of Truman Seymour and captured the Union guns. The regiment lost 255 men out of the 375 men on the field. Major Walker was mortally wounded and Captain Humphreys was wounded.

July 1
Malvern Hill

In support on the right flank but were not committed and suffered no loss.

July 2 Started off in pursuit of the withdrawing Union forces late in the day but halted for the night after marching two miles in a severe storm.
July 3 Continued the pursuit.
July 4 Captain John W. Goss of Company A was promoted to major.
July 5 Moved to Richmond.
July 22 Colonel Jenkins was promoted to brigadier general. Lieutenant Colonel Walker was promoted to colonel, Major Goss was promoted to lieutenant colonel and Captain Franklin W. Kilpatrick of Company B was promoted to major.
August 12 Major Kilpatrick was offered a promotion to colonel but declined.
August 14 Assigned to Kemper’s Division of Longstreet’s Command.
August 16 Marched from Gordonsville.
August 20 Crossed the Rapidan River at Raccoon Ford.
August 24 Marched up the Rappahannock and crossed the Hazel River, camped at Jeffersonton.
August 25 Crossed the Rappahannock at Hinson’s Mill Ford, 6 miles above Waterloo.
August 27 Delayed by Federal cavalry near Salem, but continued to White Plains.
August 28 Marched through Thoroughfare Gap in mid afternoon
August 29-30
Second Battle of Manassas

The regiment was positioned on the far right in Longstreet’s attack of the second day. The fighting lasted until dark, with the regiment losing 68 men.

 August 31 At 1400 the next day the majority of the Corps march to Sudley Ford,
September 1 Crossed Bull Run at Sudley Ford and marched for Chantilly on the Little River turnpike, arriving after the battle. Transferred to David R. Jones’ Division of Longstreet’s Command.
September 2 Remained in position on the Chantilly battlefield.
September 3-4 Marched through Dranesville to Leesburg.
September 5-6 Crossed the Potomac River at White’s Ford, moved through Buckeystown, camping along the Monocacy River.
September 7 Went into camp near Frederick.
September 9 Crossed South Mountain and marched to Hagerstown.
September 10 Marched through Boonsborough and Funkstown
September 12 Camped near Hagerstown on the Williamsport road on the 12th.
September 13 Left Hagerstown after dark on a forced march back to the South Mountain passes, the rear guard is under attack.
September 14
Battle of South Mountain

Arrived at the pass at Turner’s Gap. After being ordered a mile to the south where Union forces had incorrectly been reported as flanking the Confederate position, the regiment returned and took position along a stone wall north of and looking down on the National Road and the White House Hotel. After being heavily shelled until dark they were withdrawn to the hotel. The regiment lost 2 men. Colonel Walker took command of the brigade.

September 15 The regiment covered the Confederate withdrawal until before first light, when the regiment moved out for Sharpsburg. A forced march brought them to the main army by mid-day. The regiment was positioned in front of the town to the right of the turnpike and west of Antietam Creek. In the late evening it shifted south under heavy Union artillery fire.
September 17
Battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam)

The regiment was part of the force that held Burnside’s Ninth Corps at their crossing of the Antietam Creek and up the hillside to the town of Sharpsburg. While some men held a strongpoint in a stone mill and house   most were forced back to a stone wall on the southeastern outskirts of Sharpsburg. Badly outnumbered, at mid-afternoon they were saved by the arrival of A.P. Hill’s division,

The regiment was under the command of Captain Alfred H. Foster, and lost 8 men killed and 57 wounded. Captains J.E. Lee and N.W. Harbin were killed and Lieutenants W.N. Major and H.H. Thomson were badly wounded. Captain Foster was wounded and command of the regiment was taken over by Captain Franklin Kilpatrick.

September 18 Held position on the south side of the army, engaged in heavy sharpshooting with the enemy. Relieved at nightfall by Fitzhugh Lee’s Cavalry.
September 19 Crossed the Potomac at Blackford’s Ford (Boteler’s, or Pack Horse Ford) and marched for Culpeper.
November The regiment was assigned to Pickett’s Division, the only South Carolina regiment in a Virginia Division,
November 23 Moved to Fredericksburg
December 13
Battle of Fredericksburg

Under heavy artillery fire but not attacked. The regiment lost 4 men.

December 14 The regiment was positioned in a quiet part of the line and provided detachments of skirmishers and sharpshooters, losing 8 men.
December 15 In winter quarters near Fredericksburg.
January 30 Captain William W. Humphreys of Company C was promoted to major.
February 19 Camped at Chester Station along the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad
February 27 Moved to Petersburg, camping three miles from the town along the City Point Railroad
March 9-11 Carried down the Blackwater River to Franklin Station, Virginia. The brigade’s camps were scattered, about four miles apart.
March 17 Attacked by the 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry and a battery of artillery. The regiment repulsed two charges, losing several men wounded and prisoner.
April 10-May 3
Suffolk Expedition
April 11 Picket’s Division marched down South Quay Road to the Federal picket line, holding the right of the Confederate line.
April 24
Fort Dix

Corcoran’s Federal Division mounted an attack from Fort Dix, on Pickett’s extreme right flank. The cautious Federals were easily repulsed.

May 3-4 Moved during the night from Suffolk to Franklin on the Blackwater River.
May 15 Marched 16 miles from Franklin and skirmished with the enemy 1/4 mile from Carsville, losing 5 men.
May 21-23 Detachment marched to the Blackwater Bridge
June 4 Detachment marched to Joiners Church
June 14-18 Detachemnt sent by train to Garysburg and Weldon
June 15 Main body of the regiment forced to evacuate Franklin under heaving artillery fire.
June 16 Skirmished with the enemy for much of the day, losing a number of men.
June 17 Four companies of the regiment in rifle pits prevent a Federal crossing of the Blackwater by 5,000 men
June 21 The brigade was detached from Pickett’s Division, with moved north on what became the Gettysburg Campaign.
July 27-29 Moved to to Richmond, at Fort Powhaton on the James River.
July 1-2 Marched to Bottom’s Bridge on the Chickanominy.
July 4 Skirmished with Federal troops at Bottom’s Bridge without loss.
July 28 Moved to near Petersburg
September 11-20 Ordered to join Longstreet’s Corps as it is sent to reinforce the Army of the Tennessee. The regiment was loaded onto freight cars, riding both inside and on top. The route was through Bamberg, Denmark, Graham’s Turn Out, Lees, Blackville, Elko, Williston and White Pond. At Augusta they changed trains to Atlanta, arriving on the 20th at Catoosa.
September 23 Took position on the left of army on 23rd assigned to Jenkins’ Brigade of Hood’s Division.
October 28-29
Wauhatchie (Lookout Valley, Brown’s Ferry)  

Just after nightfall moved with the three brigades of the division from Lookout Mountain along a narrow path to Lookout Valley to attack Geary’s Union Division, which is guarding the important crossroads of Brown’s Ferry and Kelley’s Ferry roads and a large wagon park.

The brigade crossed Lookout Creek about midnight and moved down the Wauhatchie/Brown’s Ferry Road, driving in the Federal skirmishers, with the Palmetto Sharpshooters on the extreme left of the line. They pushed back the 149th New York in a fierce attack and captured the Federal wagon park. But Federal reinforcements were threatening from the rear, and the attack was called off. The Confederates destroyed whatever wagons they could and drove off the mules, then made a fighting withdrawal, with the Palmettos acting as the rearguard for the division at Lookout Creek. They were back in their campus by sunrise, having lost 44 men, including Major F.W. Kilpatrick, who was killed.

November 5 Left Lookout Mountain during the night for Knoxville and marched 8 miles to Tyner’s Station
November 7 Moved by train to Sweetwater Station, riding on open flat cars without food in the cold wind.
November 8-12 At Sweetwater Station. Only half the supplies Bragg had promised arrived, and Longstreet’s men spent a week confiscating wheat and collecting livestock.
November 13 Marched north from Sweetwater to within 6 miles of Loudon.
November 14 Crossed the Tennessee River at Huff’s Ferry to cover the construction of the pontoon bridge. At the end of the day skirmished with Chapin’s Federal Brigade, driving them back and capturing a caisson and some baggage from the 107th Illinois and 13th Kentucky.
November 15 March along the Hotchkiss Valley Road in the late afternoon in the lead of Jenkins’ Division, seizing some high ground and holding it while the rest of the brigade came up. Skirmishing continued through the night, costing the brigade a few casualties.
November 16
Campbell Station

The regiment pushed forward along Concord Road at first light in a heavy rainstorm, harassing the retreating Federals. They captured a Union supply train of 80 wagons, which unfortunately had no desperately needed shoes or clothes. At midmorning the Federals of Ferrero’s Brigade (2nd, 17th and 20th Michigan Infantry) formed line of battle before continuing their withdrawal.

In the late morning the regiment turned onto Kingston Road and met more Federal troops at Campbell Station, the Federal Brigades of Sigfried and Chapin. They were ordered to attack the Federal flank, which began around noon. The brigade suffered considerable loss from Federal artillery before forcing the Federals to withdraw almost a mile. The brigade lost 124 men in the day’s fighting.

November 17
Siege of Knoxville

Longstreet’s men arrived around Knoxville amid heavy fighting, which dies down at dusk.

November 18 The division moved into position amid heavy skirmishing on a line extending east from the Kingston Road and covering the road to Clinton.
November 29
Fort Sanders (Fort Loudon)

The regiment participated in the charge on the fort as one of the support brigades.

December 4-5 Longstreet’s men withdrew from Knoxville, marching through the night to the north of the city and off to the east. They reached Blane’s Cross Roads in the afternoon.
December 6 Continued the march to Rutledge.
December 7 Skirmished with Federals
December 9 Continued the march, foraging as they went.
December 10 Skirmish at Morristown
December 11-13 Continued the march to Rogersville
December 14
Battle of Bean’s Station

In the morning force-marched in a downpour to 11 miles southwest of Rogersville in the Holston River valley, within six miles of Bean’s Station. About 4,000 Federal cavalry and infantry under James M Shackelford who had been searching for Longstreet’s force were surprised. Fighting intensified in mid afternoon but Federal forces held out until nearly dark when Confederate reinforcements, included the regiment, arrived and forced their withdrawal through Bean’s Gap.

December 15 Jenkins Division advanced down the road towards Rutledge but found the reinforced Federals at Blain’s Cross Roads to be well entrenched, with their flanks resting on the high ground.  The brigade advanced on the left but support failed to arrive and it withdrew at dusk.
December 16 Pursued retreating Federal forces to Rutledge before retiring.
December 17-18 Skirmished with Federals on the 17th and 18th at Bean’s Station and Rutledge.
December 19 Moved toward the Rogersville area, foraging for the army for about 14 days.
December 20 Arrived at Long’s Ferry and began crossing in the early afternoon. There was only a single ferryboat with a capacity of only 30 men and one wagon, and the crossing took two (possibly three) days.
December 23 Went into winter quarters south of the Holston River around Russellville, Morristown, and Rogersville, along the East Tennessee and Virginia Railroad tracks. The men began collecting food supplies, constructing log huts and shanties, and building a small shoe factory that produced 100 pairs of “moccasins” a day. The winter would be the worst in years, and the men were always hungry, living on small amounts bacon and cornbread and almost no vegetables.
January 12 With the countryside emptied of food, Longstreet’s men move to the south side of the French Broad River.
January 13 Jenkins’ Brigade lost 136 men skirmishing and foraging in the first part of the month.
January 15 Marched from Morristown to Dandridge, starting in midafternoon. The men without shoes were excused the march but refused to be left behind, and left bloody trails on the icy roads. The division camped in the woods that night near Kimbrough’s Cross Roads, about a third of the way to Dandridge.
January 16

Deployed on both sides of the cross roads after hearing gunfire.  Two Federal cavalry brigades advanced down the Morristown Road from Dandridge and were met by a heavy fire when they came within range. One Federal brigade dismounted and drove back the Confederate right with their Spencer carbines, but a counterattack drove them off. The regiment then marched down the Morristown Road to Dandridge and deployed facing the Federal left wing but out of contact.

January 17 Marched slowly and quietly down Morristown Road with orders to advance but keep out of sight. Turned down a side road before reaching Dandridge and took position near the Federal lines.

Fighting began in early afternoon and the Palmettos continued down the road until they came under fire from the right. They quickly deployed into battle line and charged, overrunning the few defenders and capturing several. The regiment returned to the road and continued down it until they were attacked on the right flank by dismounted troopers of the 1st Wisconsin Cavalry.  The Palmettos drove them off from behind the cover of a rail fence, during which some of the prisoners escaped. The Federal cavalry renewed their attack in strength until Confederate reinforcements came up and the Federal cavalry withdrew.

The regiment then continued its advance down the side road until reaching a position looking over the Chucky Bend Road and the flank of the 125th Ohio Infantry, who were forced to withdraw. The Palmettos stayed in this position until dark.

January 18 The Federals had withdrawn in the night, and the division started back towards their camps between Russellville and Morristown.
January 21
Strawberry Plains

Marched north 13 miles to Strawberry Plains, where firing had been heard. On arrival they went into the fields in a double quick line of battle.  The Federals withdrew in the face of the Confederate advance and there were no casualties on either side.

January 22 Marched towards Bull’s Gap, halting the pursuit and digging in six miles from the federal fortifications in Knoxville due to lack of shoes and clothing. Longstreet captured 31 Federal wagons and three caissons.
January 30 The division was at Strawberry Plains, with pickets several miles beyond, building a pontoon bridge across the river and repairing the railroad bridge.
February 17 Crossed the river by the pontoon bridge and marched to Flat Creek.
February 14 Returned to Strawberry Plains
February 23 Withdrew from Strawberry Plains, burning the ferry boat and destroying the railroad bridge
March 25 Withdrew to Morristown and Greenville, setting up a defensive line from the Holston to Nolichucky Rivers.
March 28 Began the withdrawal towards Bristol
April 7 Longstreet’s Corps began its return to rejoin the Army of Northern Virginia.
April 20 Reached Charlottesville, marching along the railroad tracks to Cobham’s Depot.
April 29 To welcome them back to the Army of Northern Virginia General Robert E. Lee reviewed Longstreet’s 1st Corps, which paraded for two hours before forming for inspection.
May 1 Marched to just north of Gordonsville on the road to Liberty Mills and encamped. Major General Charles Field was in command of the division.
May 4 Left camp in late afternoon via Lawyer’s Road and marched 16 miles to Brock’s Bridge on the North Anna.
May 5 Resumed the march in the morning, moving 16 miles along the Orange Plan Road and Catharpin Road and reaching Richard’s Shop by late afternoon. The Battle of the Wilderness had begun and Lee was desperate for Longstreet’s men to join him.
May 6
Battle of the Wilderness

Began the march along the Plank Road a little after midnight, arriving at Parker’s Store about dawn. Three miles further Field’s Division formed up to the left of the Orange Plank Road, with Kershaw’s Division on the right, and both advanced against Hancock’s Federal 2nd Corps, which was breaking through Lee’s lines. The fighting was desperate but the Palmettos and the rest of Jenkins’ Brigade remained in reserve, and Hancock’s attack was stopped and thrown back.

At midday Longstreet launched a counterattack, with Jenkins’ brigade still in reserve. As the counterattack reached Federal earthworks along Brock Road Jenkins’ fresh brigade was ordered forward to lead the attack around 1 p.m. But as it advanced it came under friendly fire from Mahone’s Virginia Brigade. Longstreet was badly wounded and Jenkins mortally wounded, and the attack stalled.

It was late afternoon before the attack was reorganized. Jenkins’ Brigade, now under Colonel John Bratton of the 6th South Carolina Infantry, led the attack against the chest height log fortifications lining Brock Road. The attack stalled in front of the breastworks for half an hour until a brushfire burning through the thick dry undergrowth reached the Federal lines and forced the defenders back.

Bratton’s men charged through the blazing breach in the lines, described by one Federal as “So many devils through the flames, charging over the burning works upon our retreating lines.'” But Federal artillery massed behind the line opened on them, and Federal forces counterattacked on each flank. With ammunition exhausted and threatened with being surrounded, Bratton reluctantly fell back to Confederate lines.

May 7 A little before midnight followed Kershaw’s Division to Corbin’s Bridge, Shady Grove Church and halted near Block Bridge House at dawn. Richard H. Anderson now commanded the corps in place of Longstreet, and Bratton was promoted to brigadier general to replace Micah Jenkins, who had died before the end of the day on the 6th.
May 8
Laurel Hill (Battle of Spotsylvania Court House)

Marched from Block Bridge House and formed on the hill on the left of Kershaw’s Division. Bratton’s Brigade and the Palmettos formed with Old Court Road on their left. They were assaulted by the Federals of Warren’s 5th Corps, who made several assaults against the hill that were bloodily repulsed. The Federal attacks diminished in spirit and effectiveness until night ended the fighting.

May 9
Po River (Battle of Spotsylvania Court House)

The day was spent in heavy skirmishing as the rest of both armies reached the field and went into position to the east of Brock Road.

May 10
Battle of Spotsylvania Court House

In mid afternoon Warren launched another attack that was turned back before reaching the Confederate entrenchments, and at dusk yet another attack had the same result.

May 12
Bloody Angle (Battle of Spotsylvania Court House)

An early morning Federal attack came within 50 years of the Confederate defenses before being driven back. An hour and a half later another attack met the same fate, the Confederates holding their fire until the Federals were 50 yards away. One Palmetto wrote that “a line of dead was laid across the entire front of my Brigade.'” These attacks coincided with the major Federal breakthrough at the Mule Shoe, intended to prevent the Confederates from pulling reinforcements from other parts of the line to plug the break. Their failure allowed Bratton’s Brigade and the Palmettos to be moved to the rear of the Mule Shoe where a new defensive line was being created.

May 14 The division marched down Brock Road at mid afternoon, leapfrogging the 2nd Corps. They reached Zion Church opposite Massaponax Church Road and were building earthworks by dusk.
May 17 An attempt by the 10th Massachusetts and the 3rd Vermont to reconnoiter down Massaponax Church Road was driven off.
May 21 In the evening Bratton’s Brigade fell in at the rear of the Corps and marched over Snell’s Bridge, and through Southworth to Mud Tavern. They then turned south down Telegraph Road and through Harris’ Store, reaching Golansville in the night.
May 22 The march continued in midmorning past Mount Carmel Church, crossing the North Anna River at Chesterfield Bridge. Camp was made west of Hanover Junction on the Virginia Central Railroad.
May 23-26
North Anna River

In late afternoon Field’s Division was sent to the railroad bridge, which was under attack from Hancock’s 2nd Corps, The Palmetto’s dug in and burned the bridge, preventing its capture by Gibbon’s Federal division in an attack at nightfall. The Confederates pulled back from the bank and dug entrenchments with Kershaw on the left of Field, who was supported by Rode’s Division. Ewell’s Corps was on the right.

May 24 In the morning the Federal brigade of Nelson Miles was stopped from marching across the front by heavy fire. In late afternoon fighting broke out on the brigade’s right but the Palmettos were not involved other than minor firing. The battle died down into skirmishing.
May 27 Federal forces disappeared from the front of Field’s Division, indicating another Federal flanking move. The corps moved south along the Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad line and crossed the Little River and the South Anna Rivers by the railroad bridges. They marched through Ashland, then turned east towards Hugh’s Crossroads, camping that evening near Half Sink.
May 28 Well before dawn the army was up and moving towards Atlee’s Station, crossing the Virginia Central Railroad.  By midmorning the division rested south of Totopotomy Creek on Shady Grove Road.
May 29 Lee’s army dug in along Totopotomy Creek, with the 1st Corps in reserve. The division was in marshland between Breckinridge’s and Early’s Corps.
May 30 The division advanced to Pole Green Church facing the Federal divisions of John Gibbon and Robert B Potter.
May 31 The 1st Corps was pulled out of line in late afternoon, with Field’s Division the last to leave,
June 1 Field’s Division passed behind Early’s lines just before noon. It arrived by late afternoon on the right of Pickett’s Division and began to entrench across the Walnut Grove Church Road. In the early evening the Federal division of Henry H Lockwood launched an attack on Field’s right. Later in the evening the Palmettos remained in the lines while most of the rest of Field’s Division moved off to seal a break in the lines.
June 3
Battle of Cold Harbor

Grant launched his grand assault in the early morning and repeated it in midmorning, losing 6,000 casualties in a matter of minutes. But the Palmetto’s were barely involved as the Federal unit facing them, the division of Samuel W Crawford, took no part in either assault.

June 13 In the early morning Bratton’s Brigade crossed the Chickahominy River on the McClellan cavalry bridge, crossing the Seven Pines battle-field and White Oak Swamp and marched down Charles City Road.  They turned off the road at Williams House and bivouacked between Ridell’s Shop and Malvern Hill.
June 15 Marched up the Kingsland Road to Varina Road and in the evening picketed toward the river starting at Deep Bottom.
June 16 Crossed the river at midday at Drewry’s Bluff, joining the division marching south on Telegraph road to reoccupy earthworks which had been abandoned by Beauregard when he moved south to re-enforce Petersburg.Took position on the right of the division. At dusk some skirmishers were able to reoccupy the Confederate trenches.
June 17 Around noon fire from Clay’s Farm prompted “a sort of spontaneous charge” that drove Federal troops from the earthworks, in spite of orders not to attack.
June 18

Ordered to move to the Petersburg defenses. Arrived around 9:30 and were ordered to the line around Battery 34, which until that point had been unoccupied. A Federal attack by Warren’s 5th Corps in mid afternoon was thrown back with heavy losses (and badly wounding Union Colonel Joshua L. Chamberlain.) At dusk the brigade shifted left to the Baxter Road area, where the earthworks were not well established and casualties from sharpshooting were high.

June 24 Left the trenches around dawn and moved to the iron bridge on City Point Road on the far left of the Confederate defenses. Took part in the morning Confederate attack as support, but the attack failed due to disorganization. Moved to a ravine behind the lines in reserve.
July 28 Left the trenches and moved to Petersburg.
July 29 In the morning moved by train on the Petersburg and Richmond Railroad to Rice’s Station, then marched across the James River at Drewry’s Bluff to the vicinity of Fussell’s Mill.
July 30 Moved into earthworks on New Market Heights with the right resting on Four Mile Creek.
August 14
2nd Deep Bottom Run

Attacked three times by the Federal 10th Corps. The third attack broke the Confederate lines but the Federals were thrown back, having taken a number of prisoners. Union artillery then began “a furious cannonade” but they soon withdrew, threatened by skirmishers on their flank. The division was then left again and by dusk extending along New Market Heights from the Drill House to beyond the Libby House.

August 15 The 2nd South Carolina Rifles and the 5th South Carolina were pulled out of the line to fill a break in another part of the defenses. Federals then attacked near the Libby house, but ‘were easily repulsed by the picket-line’, aided by artillery on the high ground behind the defenses.
August 18 The Palmettos and Bratton’s Brigade became part of an ad hoc division of eight brigades organized under A.P. Hill. By late afternoon they were concentrated in the southwest of Petersburg, then marched south along Squirrel Level Road, moving out of the defenses and onto Vaughn Road near Globe Tavern. They  then crossed Hatcher’s Run before dusk and bivouacked near Holly Point Church.
August 25 Halifax Road (2nd Reams Station)

In the early morning Hill’s ad hoc command crossed the Rowanty River at Monk’s Neck Bridge, then moved onto the Stage Road before deploying at midday near earthworks held by Hancock’s Federal 2nd Corps. The first attack started in early afternoon but was thrown back, as was another an hour later. A third attack in late afternoon broke into the Federal earthworks and drove them from the field.  Twelve U.S. colours, nine cannon, 10 caissons and 3,100 small arms were captured.

September 4 Moved to Reams Station
September 5 Returned to Cox’s Cross Roads and erected earthworks along Squirrel Level Road
September 29 At first light Field’s Division was ordered to immediately march for to the north side of the James River in response to a Federal attack on Confederate Fort Harrison. By the time the division crossed the Appomattox and James River bridges it was too late; the fort had been taken.
September 30
Fort Harrison/New Market Road

A Confederate counterattack was organized to retake Fort Harrison. The attack was uncoordinated, with separate attacks by G.T. Anderson’s Georgia Brigade and Field’s and Hoke’s Divisions, each of which was thrown back with heavy casualties.

October 1 Field’s division moved to the are around Darbytown and Williamsburg Roads and built earthworks near Fort Gilmer.
October 6 Moved to Curry’s house on the Darbytown Road
October 7
Darbytown Road

Moved down the Darbytown Road to attack the Federal right (northern) flank, held by dismounted cavalry. The attack drove the cavalry from the field and wheeled into the Union line, sending Kautz’s Federal Division to the rear and capturing nine guns.

The division continued to slowly advance through a swamp and across Four Mile Creek before finding the main Federal defenses near New Market road. Field’s Division launched a disorganized attack without support and were driven off by the massed artillery and repeating rifles of Terry’s Federal Division. Brigadier General Bratton was wounded, and the brigade took heavy casualties.

October 10 Field’s and Hoke’s Divisions moved in front of Cornelius Creek, digging rifle pits.
October 13
2nd Darbytown Road

The division’s left drove off a Federal attack. Two regiments of the brigade were sent to relieve Gary’s cavalry on the Charles City Road.  At nightfall the brigade was on the right of Darbytown road.

October 19 Moved to the Charles City Road
October 27-8
Williamsburg Road

Sent to man the works when a Union attack was launched up the Williamsburg Road. The lines were only thinly held, with intervals between men of three to six feet, and there were no reserves. But the weak Union attack by Godfrey Weitzel was turned back. The brigade captured 400-500 prisoners and several colors, losing only 9 men.

November Built breastworks and picketed between Charles City and Williamsburg Roads.
December 10
New Market Heights

Skirmished with Federal infantry, pushing them back into their trenches, then held the ground for the rest of the day, withdrawing after dusk.

December 22 Marched to the Central Railroad Depot in Richmond and entrained for Gordonsville, leaving around midnight.
December 23-24 Action around Liberty Mills with a Federal cavalry raid,
December 25 The regiment went into winter quarters between Charles City and Williamsburg Railroads. The Palmetto Sharpshooters lost 159 casualties since August.
January 1 Camped on the Williamsburg Road
February 24 Moved 5 miles to Fort Gilmer.
March 31 Moved to within the inner Petersburg defensive lines.
April 2 Moved into position on the old Dimmock Line along Old Town Creek (now Rohoic Creek) halting the Union advance toward the town.
April 3
The retreat to Appomoattox

Left Petersburg in the evening, crossing the pontoon bridge over the Appomattox and moving via Matoaca.

April 4 Marched to Amelia Court House, where Federal cavalry under Ranald Mackenzie blocked westward movement.
April 5 Marched toward Jetersville at midday. Federal cavalry blocked the road, forcing the regiment to move north to Sulpher Springs and Deatonvill.
April 6 Arrived at Rice’s Station and attacked Federal entrenchments, but they were empty. Continued to Farmville.
April 7 Arrived at Farmville early in the morning and drew rations from rail cars. Forced to move up river to cross the Appomattox as the bridges had been burned, Rejoined the division at Cumberland Church and dug in just after noon. The Union 2nd Corps arrived and launched an attack on Gordon’s Corps in the afternoon. The brigade was sent to support Gordon but arrived after the attack had been thrown back.

Field and Wilcox held the position while what remained of the other corps started to retire. Field’s Division was ordered to be rear guard are pulled back to a new defensive line on the high ground along the Lynchfield Road so that Wilcox and the artillery could retire. At midnight they began another night march, Longstreet’s Corps going via Curdsville and New Store.

April 8 A quiet days march. Late in the day the Division encamped near Holliday’s Creek.  At midnight they moved off and caught up with the rear of the army a couple of miles north east of Appomattox Court House.  Bivouacked there for the night.
April 9
Appomattox Court House

At about 0800 the Federal 2nd Corps reached Field’s position. They were about to attack when Robert E. Lee rode through Field’s lines with a courier and a couple of staff officers and requested a meeting with Grant to discus surrendering the army.

As Lee returned to the lines after surrender was signed in mid afternoon. “The road was packed by standing troops as he approached, the men with hats off, heads and hearts bowed down.The shock was most severe upon Field’s division.  Surrender had not had time to enter their minds until it was announced accomplished.”

The 16th Michigan shook hands and shared their rations with the Palmetto Sharpshooters, ironically the regiment whose colors they had captured at Gaines’ Mill in June 1862.

April 10 The first of three days of the formal surrender. It had been agreed that “the troops shall march by Brigades, and detachments to a designated point, stack their arms, depot their flags, sabers, pistols etc…. and from their march to their homes under charge of their officers”

The cavalry went first, due to the shortage of fodder for the horses.

April 11 The artillery continued the formal surrender.
April 12 The infantry surrendered on the final day. Union Brevet Major General Joshua L. Chamberlain was given the honour of receiving the surrender of the infantry and he lined his division on both sides of the road.

At 0600, Confederate Major General John B. Gordon  marched the silent Confederate infantry from their final bivouac across the northern branch of the Appomattox River along Stage Road and up the hill to the Federal lines.  The Palmetto Sharpshooters led the brigade, who led the lead division.  They marched the three miles to Appomattox Court House and stacked arms in front of the 118th Pennsylvania. At the ceremony the Palmetto Sharpshooters, commanded by Captain Alfred H. Foster, surrendered 29 officers and 356 men, of which 284 still had weapons.  It was the largest number of men still following their regimental colours in the Army of Northern Virginia, and Bratton’s Brigade was the largest surviving brigade in the army.)

That night the infantry began to leave for their homes.

April 13 The Palmetto’s stayed together (possibly with many of the brigade) and marched 24 miles on bad rain rutted roads
April 14 Marched to Campbell Court House, were they rested midday before continuing and camped at mid afternoon, having marched 15 miles.
April 15 Awoke before dawn due to rain and continued the march, crossing the Staunton River at McIver’s Ferry and halting after making only 12 miles.
April 16 Marched 22 miles into Pittsylvania County.
April 17 Marched 26 miles through Pittsylvania Court House, stopping in the evening.
April 18 Marched to Danville where the brigade “marched through in perfect order” to a campsite three miles beyond where Colonel Asbury Coward of the 5th South Carolina had “secured 1300 rations and railroad transportation.”
April 19 Marched eight miles down the railroad track into North Carolina, Boarded a train at Pelham Station which took them south, where over the next few days they gradually broke up and continued back to their homes and families in South Carolina.