The Pee Dee Artillery was formed in March of 1862 and was surrendered at Durham Station in April of 1865.
|March||Organized from Company D, 1st South Carolina Infantry Regiment (Provisional Army) under the command of Captain David G. McIntosh, a lawyer. The battery was equipped with four 3 inch ordnance rifles.|
|June||Assigned to Artillery Battalion, A.P. Hill’s Division, Army of Northern Virginia|
|June-July||Assigned to Artillery Battalion, A.P. Hill’s Division, Longstreet’s Command, Army of Northern Virginia|
|June 25-July 1||
Seven Days Battles
The battery lost one man killed and two wounded. Captain McIntosh lost two horses shot from under him in one day.
Battle of Beaver Dam Creek
Battle of Gaines’s Mill
Battle of Frayser’s Farm
Battle of Malvern Hill
|July||Assigned to J.R. Anderson’s Brigade, A.P. Hill’s Division, Longstreet’s Command, Army of Northern Virginia|
Battle of Cedar Mountain
|August||Assigned to Artillery Battalion, A.P. Hill’s Division, Jackson’s Command, Army of Northern Virginia|
The battery was commanded by Captain McIntosh. It was equipped with four different types of guns: a 10 pounder Parrott rifle, a 3 inch Ordnance rifle, a Napoleon, and a 12 pounder howitzer. It lost one man killed and two wounded.
|March 2||Captain McIntosh was promoted to major and given command of a battalion in the artillery reserve. By the end of the war he would be a colonel and Chief of Artillery of the 2nd Corps.|
The battery was commanded by Captain Ervin B. Brunson.
|May||Assigned to Pegram’s Battalion, Reserve Artillery, 3rd Corps, Army of Northern Virginia|
Sixty-five men were with the battery at Gettysburg, which was commanded by Lieutenant William E. Zimmerman. It was equipped with one 10 pounder Parrott Rifle and three 3 inch Ordnance Rifles. There is a marker for the Pee Dee Artillery on Seminary Ridge.
|July||Assigned to Pegram’s Battalion, Artillery, 3rd Corps, Army of Northern Virginia|
Mine Run Campaign
|April||The battery mustered 2 officers and 66 men “present and fit for duty.”|
Battle of North Anna
|June – December||After the fighting of May-June the battery was worn down and was considered to have insufficient men and horses to take the field. It was exchanged with a battery in the Charleston defences to refit. Assigned to Taliaferro’s Brigade, Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.|
|December||Assigned to Anderson’s Brigade, Taliaferro’s Division, Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.|
|January||Assigned to Rhett’s Brigade, Taliaferro’s Division, Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida.|
Assigned to Rhett’s Brigade, Taliaferro’s Division, Hardee’s Corps
|April||Assigned to Manly’s Artillery Battalion, 1st Corps, Army of Tennessee|
The Pee Dee Artillery was surrendered. Guidon bearer Private R.C. Nettles wrapped the battery’s flag around his body. It was not surrendered and was preserved by battery members until it was turned over to the State of South Carolina in 1905. It is currenty at the South Carolina Confederate Relic Room and Military Museum in Columbia.