United States Regiments & Batteries > New York < 21st New York Infantry Regiment

“1st Buffalo Regiment”

The 21st New York Infantry Regiment lost 2 officers and 74 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded and 2 officers and 40 enlisted men to disease in the Civil War.

April – May Organized at Buffalo, New York.
May 8 The 21st New York Infantry Regiment mustered in for two years’ State service.
May 20 Remustered at Elmira, New York, for three months’ United States service under Colonel William F. Rogers, Lieutenant Colonel Adrian R. Root, Major William H. Drew, Adjutant C. W. Sternberg, Quartermaster H. P. Clinton, Surgeon Charles H. Wilcox, Assistant Surgeon J. A. Peters and Sergeant Major George M. Love.
June 18 Left Elmira, New York, by rail for Washington, D. C. via Harrisburg and Baltimore. Camp at Kalorama Heights, Washington, D.C. and attached to Mansfield’s Command, Dept. of Washington
July 14 Garrison at Fort Runyon, with Company E at Fort Jackson on the Virginia bank of the Long Bridge and Company K at a bastion on the Alexandria Road.
August 2 Transferred to United States service for balance of State enlistment by order of Governor E. D. Morgan and attached to Division of the Potomac. Forty-one members who felt they had finished their terms of service and refused to answer roll call were placed under arrest and sentenced to the Dry Tortugas.
August 20-30 The malcontents were moved to Rip Raps and were released from their sentence on condition that they finish their term of service with the 2nd New York Infantry
September 1 Camp at Arlington Heights, Virginia.
September 9 Companies A, E, G, K&I picketing Ball’s Cross Roads
September 28 At Upton’s Hill, Virginia.
October Attached to Wadsworth’s Brigade, McDowell’s Division, Army of the Potomac
October 4-24 Built Fort Buffalo on Upton Hill
October 20 Captain William C. Alberger of Company D transferred as lieutenant colonel to 49th New York Infantry Regiment
December 15 The regiment went into winter quarters
January 17 Captain James C. Strong of Company E mustered out to become lieutenant colonel of the 38th New York Infantry Regiment
March 10-15
Advance on Manassas, Virginia.
March 13 Attached to Patrick’s 2nd Brigade, King’s 3rd Division, 1st Corps, Army of the Potomac
March 16 Camp near Baily’s Cross Roads at “Camp Misery”
April Attached to 2nd Brigade, King’s Division, Dept. of the Rappahannock
April 9-19 McDowell’s advance on Falmouth, Va.
April 20 Duty at Fredericksburg
May 15 Lieutenant Colonel Root was mustered out for promotion to colonel of the 94th New York Infantry Regiment
May 20 Major Drew was promoted to lieutenant colonel and Captain Horace Thomas of Company I to major
May 25-29 McDowell’s advance on Richmond
June Attached to 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 3rd Corps, Pope’s Army of Virginia
June 1-21 Operations against Jackson
June 22 At Falmouth
July 28 At Fredericksburg
August 16-September 2

Pope’s Campaign in Northern Virginia

The 21st New York Infantry Regiment lost 3 officers and 50 men killed and 2 men wounded exclusive of Bull Run.

August 21-23 Fords of the Rappahannock
August 24 March to Warrenton
August 26 To Sulphur Springs. Lay under an artillery duel all day.
August 28 March through Warrenton to Gainesville
August 29


August 30

Second Battle of Bull Run (Second Manassas)

Lost 2 officers and 35 men killed and 16 men wounded.

September 1

Battle of Chantilly

Formed the right of the line of battle.

September 2 Fell back to Upton’s Hill
September 4 Attached to 3rd Brigade, 1st Division, 1st Corps, Army of the Potomac
September 6-22

Maryland Campaign

September 7 Left Upton’s Hill
September 14

Battle of South Mountain

Engaged as skirmishers, losing 1 man killed and 1 wounded.

September 16-17

Battle of Antietam (Sharpsburg)

Fought on the right of the line, losing 12 men killed, 6 men mortally wounded, and 2 officers and 49 enlisted men wounded.

There are three markers for Patrick’s Brigade on the Antietam battlefield.

From the first marker is on the east side of Mansfield Avenue near Hagerstown Pike:

On the night of September 16, 1862, Patrick’s Brigade of Doubleday’s Division bivouacked in line of battle on the east side of this road, facing west.

This tablet marks the left of the brigade line, which extended northerly about 320 yards, through a triangular strip of woods.

From the second marker on the east side of Maryland Route 65, north of Starke Avenuer:

(September 17, 1862.)

Patrick’s Brigade formed line north of Joseph Poffenberger’s at 5:30 A. M. and advanced on the east of the Hagerstwon Pike in support of Gibbon’s Brigade. It crossed the Pike and entered the West Woods at this point. The 80th New York was sent to support Battery B, 4th U. S. Artillery, 130 yards south of Miller’s barn, and the 23rd moved into the field west of this point. The 21st and 35th, in close support of Gibbon’s right, swept through the West Woods and open ground east of them in the direction of the Dunkard Church, being rejoined on the way by the 23rd. The three Regiments were checked and obliged to fall back to the cover of Miller’s barn and the rocky ledges south and west of it. After an interval of nearly an hour the three Regiments again advanced in support of Goodrich’s Brigade, Twelfth Corps, but were compelled to fall back. After the repulse of Sedgwick’s Division, the Brigade was withdrawn to a position east of the Pike in support of the Artillery of the First Corps.

From the third marker on the north side of Starke Avenue:

(September 17, 1862.)

Early in the morning of the 17th, Patrick’s Brigade advanced through the North Woods and fields east of the Hagerstown Pike and into Miller’s Cornfield in support of Gibbon’s Brigade. When Gibbon’s right deployed on the plateau and in the woods west of the Pike, Patrick crossed the Pike 230 yards north of this and entered the West Woods in support, the 80th New York was withdrawn to support Battery B, 4th U. S. Artillery, 130 yards south of Miller’s barn, and the 23rd was sent to check a movement of the enemy in the fields west of the West Woods. The 21st and 35th, in close support of Gibbon’s right, swept through the West Woods, swung to the left flank of the enemy while charging the Battery, driving them in the direction of the Dunkard Church and east of the Pike. Rejoined by the 23rd, the line advanced to the Pike but was forced back to this ledge which was held until attacked on the right flank, when it was compelled to retire to the cover of Miller’s barn and the rock ledges south and west of it.

September 24 Lieutenant Colonel Drew resigned. Major Thomas was promoted to lieutenant colonel and First Lieutenant and Adjutant Chester Sternberg was promoted to major
September -October

Duty in Maryland

October 29-November 19 Movement to Falmouth, Va.
October 30 Crossed the Potomac at Berlin
November 1 Moved to Purcellville and Hamilton
December 8 Lieutenant Colonel Thomas was discharged for wounds. Major Stenberg was promoted to lieutenant colonel and Captain Edward L. Lee of Company G promoted to major
December 10 Reached the Rappahannock
December 12-15

Battle of Fredericksburg

The regiment lost 1 man killed and 3 wounded.

December 20 Camped near Cottage Grove on the river, forming the extreme left of the army
January 9 Assigned to provost duty at Aquia Creek. Assigned to Provost Marshal, General Patrick’s Command, Army of the Potomac
April 27-May 6

Chancellorsville Campaign

May 9 Left Washington for Buffalo to muster out
May 18 Mustered out at Buffalo, expiration of term, under Colonel Rogers, Lieutenant Colonel Sternberg