United States Regiments & Batteries > Ohio

The 5th Ohio Volunteer Infantry Regiment lost 9 officers and 137 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded and 2 officers and 55 enlisted men to disease during the Civil War. The regiment traveled 1,375  miles on foot and 993 by rail, and was engaged in six pitched battles. It is honored by a monument at Antietam shared with the 7th and 66th Ohio Regiments and by a monument at Gettysburg.

April 20 Organized at Camp Harrison near Cincinnati
May 8 Mustered into United States service for three months
May 23 To Camp Dennison
June 20 Organized for three years service by unanimous consent under the command of Colonel Samuel H. Dunning and Lieutenant Colonel John H. Patrick.
July 10 Left Camp Dennison by rail for Belair, crossed the Ohio River to Benwood, Virginia, and then to Grafton and Clarksburg, Virginia
July 14 Left at night by rail for Oakland, Virginia
July 15 Attached to the brigade of Brigadier General Charles W. Hill. Pursuit of Garnett’s retreating men over a spur of the Allegheny mountains. Returned to Oakland, where a private was accidentally shot and killed, the regiment’s first fatality, and then Parkersburg.
August 5 Attached to Kelly’s Command, West Virginia, and marched to Buckhannon, Virginia.
November 3
Action at French Creek

Companies A, B and C killed six or seven Rebels and lost one man killed.

November 5 At New Creek on the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad.
November 7 At Romney, Virginia
December 8 Action near Romney
December Picket duty near Romney attached to 2nd Brigade, Lauders’ Division, Army of the Potomac
January 6-7
Expedition to Blue’s Gap

Colonel Dunning led an attack on a camp of 1,500 Confederates about 16 miles from Romney. The march began at midnight in driving snow-storm. It captured the Confederate outpost line and and advanced to within a mile of the Rebel camp before being detected. Climbing a steep mountain side, the men drove the defenders from their earthworks. Twenty Confederates were killed, and two cannon and a number of prisoners were captured. a mill and outbuildings were burned.

The regiment returned to Romney immediately after the fight, having marched a total of thirty-four miles and fought a battle.

January 10 Left the camp at Romney and fell back on Patterson Creek.
February 14 Reconnaissance to Bloomery Furnace with the 8th Ohio, under the overall command of General Lander. Returned to camp at Paw Paw afterwards.
January-March At Paw Paw Tunnel, campaigning along New Creek and frequently bivouacking in the snow.
March 7-15 Advance on Winchester attached to 2nd Brigade, Shields’ 2nd Division, Banks’ 5th Army Corps, and Dept. of the Shenandoah
March 18-21 Reconnaissance to Strasburg. Marched to about seven miles south of Mount Jackson before returning to Winchester. Exchanged picket fire with the enemy but with no casualties to either side.
March 23
Battle of Kernstown

The regiment marched four miles south from Winchester to Kernstown and was placed in support of Daum’s Indiana Battery. The Confederates under Jackson launched their attack around 9 a.m., and the 5th Ohio continued in support of the battery until later afternoon, when Companies A-E were ordered forward under Colonel Kikpatrick into the open. The 84th Pennsylvania on the regiment’s right was forced to fall back; its Colonel Murray was killed trying to rally them.

The 5th Ohio stubbornly maintained the close range fire fight. After four of the 5th Ohio’s color bearers were shot down Captain George B. Whitcom of Cincinnati grabbed the colors and shouted, “Boys, keep the colors up!” before he was struck over the eye and killed. His words became part of the regimental badge and are on its monument at Gettysburg.

Then reinforcements came up in the form of the 14th Indiana, at which point the Union line advanced and drove the Confederates from the field. Darkness prevented a vigorous pursuit.

The regiment lost 47 casualties. After the fight the regimental colors were found to have 48 bullet holes and the national colors ten.

March 24 Moved south along the Valley Pike to a position five miles south of Strasburg.
April 1 Marched through Woodstock and camped near Edinburg.
April 1-2 Exchanged shots with Ashby’s Confederate cavalry, which had burned the bridge over the Shenandoah River.
April 4 Attached to 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, Department of the Shenandoah
April 16 Marched into Mt. Jackson accompanied by a detachment of the 1st Vermont Cavalry
April 17-May 2 At New Market, with Colonel Dunning in command of the brigade.
May 3 Advanced to Harrisonburg. While there the 5th Ohio was presented with a stand of colors sent by the City Council of Cincinnati in thanks for the regiment’s bravery at Kernstown.
May 12-21 Marched 150 miles to Fredericksburg, Va. and attached to 2nd Brigade, Shields’ Division, Dept. of the Rappahannock.
May 25-30 The regiment returned to Front Royal and continued on along the Shenandoah River along muddy roads in a heavy rail on half rations.
June 8 Arrived at Port Republic.
June 9
Battle of Port Republic

The battle started out well for the 5th Ohio, which made a series of charges which captured a Confederate artillery piece. But the Union line was overwhelmed. The regiment was ordered to act as rear guard to cover the retreat of the army. The regiment lost 244 casualties, of whom 185 were captured covering the retreat. The colors were saved by the Color Corporals Brinkman and Shaw, who wrapped the flags around their bodies and swam across the Shenandoah River to reach General Fremont’s army. Lieutenant Kirkup was taken prisoner but escaped and in turn captured two Confederates as he made his way to safety.

June 10 The retreat halted near Luray.
June 21-24 Marched through Thoroughfare Gap to Bristoe Station
June 25-July 24 Daily marches in futile pursuit of Jackson totaling 500 miles and ending at Alexandria with the men “nearly naked, without shelter, and worn out.”
June 26 Attached to 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 2nd Corps, Pope’s Army of Virginia
June 25-July 24 Five weeks of daily marches in futile pursuit of Jackson totaling 500 miles and ending at Alexandria with the men “nearly naked, without shelter, and worn out.”
July 25 Sent by rail to Warrenton
July 31-August 1 Marched to Little Washington.
August 2 Colonel Dunning resigned due to continued illness and Lieutenant Colonel Patrick was promoted to colonel.
August 5-7 Marched trough Sperryville to Culpeper Court House.
August 9
Battle of Cedar Mountain

The 5th Ohio made a forced march of eight miles from Culpeper to reach the battle-field, bringing 270 men to the field. The outnumbered Union troops were forced to fall back, and the regiment lost 18 enlisted men killed, 13 officers and 89 enlisted men wounded, and 2 men missing. Lieutenant Colonel H. G. Armstrong was badly wounded and disabled from further service. The Major and Adjutant and Captain Robert Kirkup were also wounded.

August 16-
September 2
Pope’s Campaign in Northern Virginia

Attached to 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 2nd Corps, Army of Virginia

August 28-30 Guarded trains during the Battle of Bull Run
September 6-22 Maryland Campaign. Attached to 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 12th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac
September 16 Marched via Frederick, Middletown and Boonsboro to the Antietam battlefield.
September 17
Battle of Antietam

The 180 men of the 5th Ohio marched onto the battlefield at first daylight under the command of Major John Collins, as Colonel Patrick was sick. The regiment moved in column, by company until it came under fire about fifty yards from the East Woods. Returning fire, the regiment advanced and in hand to hand fighting drove the Confederates through the Cornfield and into the West Woods. Here the advance was halted.

The whole brigade numbered less than 500 men and could not hold the advanced position. Two regiments of reinforcements came up on the left flank but were quickly driven back in disorder, and the regiment was forced to fall back to prevent being outflanked. The 5th Ohio emptied their cartridge boxes three times during the fighting. It lost 54 men killed and wounded.

From the monument to the 5th, 7th and 66th Ohio Infantry Regiments:

These three regiments became engaged about 7:30 A.M., September 17, 1862, advanced and drove the enemy from the woods near the Dunkard Church and were in action until 1:30 P.M. Their combined loss was 17 men killed, 4 officers and 87 men wounded, 2 men missing, total 110.

Private John Murphy was awarded the Medal of Honor for capturing the flag of the 13th Alabama Infantry Regiment.

From the first of two War Department markers on Tyndale’s Brigade on the Antietam battlefield:

Tyndale’s Brigade, on the right of the Division, reached this point about 8 A. M., relieved a portion of Crawford’s Brigade, and engaged the Confederate Infantry in the East Woods.

After a short and sharp contest, the enemy gave way and the Brigade, obliquing to the left, crossed the Smoketown Road, entered the fields to the right of Mumma’s burning buildings, and took position behind the ridge opposite the Dunkard Church.

From the second of two War Department markers on Tyndale’s Brigade on the Antietam battlefield:

Tyndale’s Brigade, after the right flank of the enemy had been turned, pursued through the East Woods, crossed to the south side of the Smoketown Road and passing to the right of Mumma’s burned out buildings, halted behind the ridge a few yards east of this point, where, with the assistance of Monroe’s and Tompkins’ Rhode Island Batteries, it repulsed several assaults of the enemy.

About 10:30 A. M. the Brigade crossed the road and entered the woods on the right of the Dunkard Church. Joined on the right by the 13th New Jersey Infantry of Williams Division, it remained in this position until noon when it was compelled to retire to the East Woods.

From Major Collins’ official report:

On the morning of the 17th, at 6 o’clock a. m., the Fifth Ohio Regiment, commanded by Major John Collins, was ordered to advance toward the enemy on the right. They proceeded in column by divisions until arriving within short distance of the enemy, when we deployed to the right of the Twenty-eighty Pennsylvania, of the same brigade, thus forming the right center, two Ohio regiments being deployed still farther to our right. Our regiment then moved forward to the woods occupied by the rebels, and after a short but severe contest, succeeded in driving them before us. From the woods the enemy retired to a corn-field, followed by us, and while in the corn our regiment engaged a Georgia regiment in a hand-to-hand combat, using clubbed guns, a portion of the men having no bayonet. The enemy at this point was severely punished. After a short resistance, the enemy again gave way, and, being closely pursued, sustained great loss. We followed the retreating foe through the corn into an open field beyond, where, our men being out of ammunition, we halted behind the brow of a hill until the cartridge-boxes of the men were replenished. We then advanced about 50 yards farther, at which time the enemy were observed coming toward us. Our regiment laid down until they approached quite near, when they suddenly raised and discharged a volley into their lines which caused them to retreat in confusion. We followed them, driving them through the field into the woods in rear, and out of the woods into the corn still farther beyond. The regiment at this time was so reduced, from wounds and other causes, as to be unable to pursue farther.

About the center of the woods we took a position which we held until again out of ammunition, when, owing to the retreat of a regiment on our right, caused by the advance of a greatly superior force of rebels, we were compelled, at about 1 o’clock p. m., to retire from our position.

It is no flattery to say that officers and men did their duty bravely during the whole of the six hours’ fire to which they were subjected.

Official Records: Series 1, Vol 19, Part 1 (Antietam – Serial 27) , Page 507

September 22 Moved to Harper’s Ferry, W. Va. and duty at Bolivar Heights
November 9 Reconnaissance to Rippen, W. Va.
December 2-6 Reconnaissance to Winchester
December 10-16 March to Stafford Court House, Virginia and then to an outpost camp at Dumfries, Virginia. The regiment’s duties at Dumfries prevented it from participating in the Battle of Fredericksburg.
December 27

Confederate cavalry attacked in the afternoon and the fighting continued until dark, when they withdrew. Colonel Patrick had returned from sick leave and was in command. Lieutenants Leforce and Walker of company G were killed, three enlisted men were wounded, and five enlisted men were captured.

January-April At Dumfries
April 20 Left Dumfries to join the 12th Corps
April 27-May 6 Chancellorsville Campaign
April 29 Crossed the Rapidan River
May 1-5
Battle of Chancellorsville

The 5th Ohio was under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Kilpatrick. It fought around Fairview Hill and the Chancellor House, and was one of the last regiments to withdraw from the position near the Chancellor House. The regiment lost 6 men killed, 52 wounded and 24 missing.

June 11-July 24 Gettysburg Campaign
July 1-3
Battle of Gettysburg

The regiment was commanded by Colonel John H. Patrick.

From the monument on Culp’s Hill at Gettysburg:

Arriving in position at 5 p.m., July 1, was detached and held extreme left of line on north side of Little Round Top. Morning of July 2 moved to Culp’s Hill, and at evening moved as far as Rock Creek to re-enforce the left. Returned to Culp’s Hill during the night and on morning of July 3 was engaged where this monument stands until 11 a.m. in repulsing the enemy and retaking the Union works.

Gettysburg July 1,2,3, 1863. Present for duty 315. Killed 2, wounded 16, total loss 18.

Lieutenant Brinkman, a hero of the Battle of Port Republic, was one of the killed.

July 5-24 Pursuit of Lee to Manassas Gap, Va.
August 15 Sent from Alexandria, Virginia to New York City and duty there during the draft riots.
September 8 Returned to Alexandria
September 28-30 Moved on via the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad for Benwood, West Virginia, where it crossed the Ohio River by ferry.
September 30-October 6 Moved by rail to Indianapolis, Indiana (missing Cincinnati, the home that most of the men had not seen in two and a half years), then south by rail to Louisville, Nashville, and Murfreesboro.
October 7-8 Moved to Bridgeport, Ala. and attached to the Army of the Cumberland
October 26-29 Reopening of the Tennessee River
October 28-29 Battle of Wauhatchie
November 23-27 Chattanooga-Ringgold Campaign
November 23-24 Lookout Mountain
November 25 Mission Ridge
November 27 Ringgold Gap, Taylor’s Ridge
March 31-April 2 Scout to Caperton’s Ferry
April Attached to 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 20th Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland
May 1-
September 8
Atlanta Campaign
May 8-11 Demonstrations on Rocky Faced Ridge
May 8 Dug Gap or Mill Creek
May 14-15 Battle of Resaca
May 19 Cassville
May 25
New Hope Church

Colonel Patrick was killed by an artillery shell while leading a charge.

May 26-June 5 Operations on line of Pumpkin Vine Creek and battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills
June 10-July 2 Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain
June 11-14 Pine Hill
June 11 Veterans and Recruits from the mustered-out 7th Ohio Infantry transferred in.
June 15-17 Lost Mountain
June 15 Gilgal or Golgotha Church
June 17 Muddy Creek
June 19 Noyes Creek
June 22 Kolb’s Farm
June 27 Assault on Kenesaw
July 4 Ruff’s Station or Smyrna Camp Ground
July 5-17 Chattahoochie River
July 19-20 Peach Tree Creek
July 22-August 25 Siege of Atlanta
August 26-September 2 Operations at Chattahoochie River Bridge
September 2-November 15 Occupation of Atlanta
September 26 Captain Robert Kirkup of Company D was promoted to lieutenant colonel
November 9 Near Atlanta
November 15-December 10 March to the sea
December 10-21 Siege of Savannah
January to April Campaign of the Carolinas
February 12-13 North Edisto River
March 19-21 Battle of Bentonville, N. C.
March 24 Occupation of Goldsboro
April 10-14 Advance on Raleigh
April 14 Occupation of Raleigh
April 26 Bennett’s House. Surrender of Johnston and his army.
April 29-May 20 March to Washington, D. C., via Richmond, Va.
May 24 Grand Review
June 6 Moved to Louisville, Ky.
July 20 Robert Kirkup was promoted to colonel but not mustered.
July 26 Mustered out