Confederate Regiments & BatteriesGeorgia

March 22 The 48th Georgia Infantry Regiment was organized at Macon, Georgia, under the command of Colonel William Gibson (a lawyer and member of the state legislature), Lieutenant Colonel Reuben W. Carswell and Major John R. Whitehead.


Company A – Gibson Guards, Glascock County – Captain Allen Kelley
Company B – Warren Infantry, Warren County – Captain Matthew R. Hall
Company C – Georgia Light Guards, Richmond County – Captain Henry S. Dortic
Company D – Burke Volunteers, Burke County – Captain John A. Harlow
Company E – Jefferson Volunteers, Jefferson County – Captain Thomas N. Polhill
Company F – Battle Ground Guards, Johnson County – Captain Thomas W. Kent
Company G – Slappey Guards, Twiggs County – Captain Ulysses A. Rice
Company H – McLeod Volunteers, Emanuel County – Captain Neal McLeod
Company I – Wilson Tigers, Richmond County – Captain Richard J. Wilson
Company K – Hamilton Rangers, Columbia County – Captain Thomas J. Hamilton

April Assigned to the Department of South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. Stationed at Grahamsville, South Carolina to guard the coast.
April 25 Lieutenant Adam Wilkerson of Company k died.
May-July Sent to Richmond, Virginia and assigned to Ripley’s Brigade, D.H. Hill’s Division, Army of Northern Virginia. The brigade consisted of the 1st & 3rd North Carolina Infantry along with the 44th Georgia.
May 31-June 1
Battle of Seven Pines
June 10 Lieutenant Clarence Walker of Company I resigned due to disability.
June 15 Skirmish near Seven Pines
June 17 Lieutenant Roswell King of Company C resigned.
June 21 Lieutenant John Moring of Company H died of typhoid fever.
June 25-July 1
Seven Days Battles
June 26
Battle of Mechanicsville (Beaver Dam Creek)

The regiment lost 33 men. Lieutenant David P. Wilson of Company K was wounded.

June 27
Battle of Gaines’s Mill
July 1
Batte of Malvern Hill

The regiment lost 44 casualties. Captain Henry S. Dortic of Company C was wounded and Lieutenant Charles Colston of Company E was mortally wounded.

July 28 Lieutenant Henry Loyless of Company G resigned.
August 18 Captain Henry S. Dortic of Company C died from typhoid in the hospital while recovering from his wound from Malvern Hill. Lieutenant Llewellen Doughty was promoted to captain of Company C.
August 28-30
Second Battle of Manassas (Bull Run)

The regiment lost 61 casualties. Captain Allen Kelley of Company A was mortally wounded.

Lieutenant Edmond G. Scruggs of Company A was promoted to captain.

August The 44th Alabama Infantry and the 3rd, 22nd and 48th Georgia Infantry were brigaded together under Brigadier General Ambrose Wright, assigned to R.H. Anderson’s Division, Longstreet’s Command, Army of Northern Virginia
August 6 Lieutenant John Winter of Company I resigned, unfit for service.
September 12-15
Siege of Harpers Ferry
September 17
Battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam)

The 48th Georgia Infantry Regiment was commanded by Colonel William Gibson until he took over the brigade from the wounded Brigadier General Wright. Major Whitehead was wounded and the only captain present from the regiment, Captain Thomas W. Kent of Company F, was also wounded. Lieutenant Stephen Lowe of Company B was killed. Lieutenant William J. Smith of Company E was wounded in his arm, which was permanently disabled.

October 7 Lieutenant Ephraim Edenfield of Company H resigned due to disability.
October 17 Lieutenant Hartwell Solomon of Company G was killed in a railroad accident.
October 29 Captain Neal McLeod of Company H resigned.
December 13
Battle of Fredericksburg
January 30 Lieutenant Joseph Raley of Company A resigned.
March 10 Captain Thomas Hamilton of Company K resigned due to disability.
March 23 Captain Ulysses A. Rice of Company G resigned.
May 1-4
Battle of Chancellorsville

The regiment lost 72 casualties. Lieutenant John Cox of Company D was mortally wounded. Lieutenant William Spier of Company E was killed.

May Assigned to Wright’s-Girardy’s-Sorrel’s Brigade, R.H. Anderson’s-Mahone’s Division, 3rd Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
July 1-3
Battle of Gettysburg

The 48th Georgia Infantry Regiment brought 395 men to the field.  Colonel Gibson took temporary command of the brigade on July 1st as the regiment moved up to the battlefield but returned to regimental command on the 2nd.

July 2nd – The brigade charged across Emmitsburg road and advanced to Cemetery Ridge. The 48th Georgia was on the left flank of the brigade and captured 4 cannon during the charge. But the brigade was unsupported, with both flanks open, and was forced to fall back or be surrounded. The 48th was on the brigade’s exposed flank and it suffered heavy casualties, having its colors shot down seven times and eventually captured. Colonel Gibson was badly wounded and had to be left on the field. 

July 3rd– The regiment advanced 600 yards to cover the retreat of Pickett’s Division.

During the two days of fighting the 48th Georgia lost 54 men killed, 65 wounded, 38 wounded and captured, and 43 captured (unwounded).  Captain Llewellen Doughty of Company C was captured. Captain John A. Harlow of Company D was killed. Lieutenant Uriah L. Skinner replaced him as captain of Company D until he, too, was killed. Captain Thomas N. Polhill of Company E was killed. Captain Thomas W. Kent of Company F was wounded and captured. Captain Richard J. Wilson of Company I was wounded, losing his arm. Captain  David P. Wilson of Company K was wounded and permanently disabled.

Lieutenants Francis M. Kelley and Andrew Beall of Company A were wounded and captured. Lieutenant Charles Robb of Company C was wounded. Lieutenant John Chearham of Company E was wounded in the foot and hand. Lieutenant William A. Batchelor of Company I was wounded and Lieutenant Charles Haenel of Company I was captured. Lieutenant William Peebles of Company K was wounded and Lieutenant Dooly Burnside of Company K was mortally wounded and captured.

July 4 Began the march to Fairfield around sunset in a drenching rain, reaching it around midnight.
July 17 Major Whitehead resigned due to his wounds. Captain Matthew R. Hall of Company B was promoted to major.
July 23
Manassas Gap

The regiment lost 32 casualties. Lieutenant George Whitfield was captured.

Bristoe Campaign
Mine Run Campaign
November 30 Captain William Smith of Company E retired to the Invalid Corps.
December 24 Major Hall was promoted to lieutenant colonel.
January 7 Captain Edmond G. Scruggs of Company A resigned when he was elected to the state legislature.
March 20 Captain Llewellen Doughty of Company C was released from Johnson’s Island, Ohio and exchanged.
April Colonel Gibson was exchanged.
April 22 Lieutenant Champion Falligant of Company H resigned.
May 5-6
Battle of the Wilderness

Lieutenant Colonel Matthew R. Hall was wounded.

May 8-21
Battle of Spotsylvania Court House

Captain Alexander Flanders of Company H was wounded.

May 23-26
Battle of North Anna
June 1-3
Battle of Cold Harbor
Siege of Petersburg

Lieutenant Aaron Aldred of Company E was wounded.

June 22
Weldon Railroad

Lieutenant Charles Robb of Company C was wounded and Lieutenant Dennis Durden of Company H was mortally wounded.

June 23 Captain Llewellen Doughty of Company C was killed. Lieutenant Joshua Evans was promoted to captain of Company C.
July 9 Adjutant Thomas Gibson was elected captain of Company D.
July 30
Battle of the Crater

Lieutenant William Peebles of Company K was killed.

August 21 Captain William A. Batchelor was wounded in a skirmish near Petersburg.
November 12 Colonel Gibson resigned due to his wounds. Lieutenant Colonel Carswell resigned to become a general in the Georgia militia.
January 19 Lieutenant Colonel Hall was promoted to colonel effective November 12, 1864.
February 5-7
Battle of Hatcher’s Run

Lieutenant Hardy Todd was wounded. He was captured in the hospital with the fall of Petersburg.

April 9
Appomattox Court House

The 48th Georgia Infantry Regiment surendered 13 officers and 193 enlisted men under the command of Captain A.C. Flanders.