Confederate Regiments & BatteriesMaryland

September 28 Mustered into service at Winchester as the 1st Maryland Infantry Battalion. Six companies were formed from the survivors of the 1st Maryland Regiment, whose 1 year term of enlistment ended in August.

Arrived at Winchester and formed companies.

Company A, Captain William Murray
Company B, Captain J.P. Crane
Company C, Captain James R. Herbert
Company D, Captain Joseph McAleer
Company E, Captain John Torsch
Company F, Captain Fred Gwynn

Captain Herbert of Company C was elected major, Lieutenant Duval was elected to captain of Company C

Assigned to Steuart’s Brigade, Johnson’s Division, 2nd Corps, Army of Northern Virginia.

November Temporarily assigned to “Grumble” Jones’ Brigade of cavalry at Strasburg.
January 2 The battalion was joined by Company G, a new company from the eastern shore who had been recruited by Captain William Goldsborough. With 7 comanies the battalion rated a lieutenant colonel, so Major Herbert was promoted and Captain Goldsboro was elected major. Lieutenant Stewart was promoted to captain of Company G.
March 25 Skirmish with Federal cavalry.
April 21
Raid on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad

The battalion went along with Jones’ and Imboden’s cavalry until they reached Moorefield, when it was decided to send the infantry back to Harrisonburg and proceed with cavalry only.

June 13-15
Second Battle of Winchester

The battalion lost 2 men killed, 8 wounded, and 1 captured. It took part in the final assault and capture of Star Fort. The battalion was returned to Steuart’s Brigade.

Late June Foraged through Mercersburg and McConnelsburg to Chambersburg.
June 28 At Carlisle. Ordered to countermarch to rejoin Lee’s main army.
July 1-3
Battle of Gettysburg

The battalion was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel James Herbert. It brought 400 men to the field.

Herbert was wounded three times on July 2nd as the battalion captured the lower defenses on Culp’s Hill. Major William Goldsborough then took over command. The next day the battalion’s attack on what is now Pardee Field failed, when the battalion faced Federal troops from Maryland. Major Goldsboro was wounded and Captain Murray of Company A was killed, Captain Torsch then briefly led the battalion until relieved by Captain James P. Crane. The wounded Major Goldsborough was captured on July 2.

The battalion lost 56 killed, 118 wounded and 15 captured (48%). Included among the dead was the battalion’s mascot, Grace. Union General Thomas Kane recalled, “He licked someone’s hand, they said, after he was perfectly riddled.” Kane ordered the dog given decent burial “as the only Christian minded being on either side.” (Pfanz; Gettysburg–Culp’s Hill and Cemetery Hill, pp.320-321)

From the monument to the battalion on Culp’s Hill:

On the morning of July 3rd the battalion moving by the left flank formed at right angles with and inside the works and charged under a fire in in front, flank and rear to a stone planted 100 yards west from this monument.

Advancing from Rock Creek about 7 p.m. July 2nd occupied the line of works at this point and held its position until next morning.

July 4-14 The battalion lost 21 captured in the retreat to Virginia.
August 23 Review of Johnson’s Division. The battalion took division honors and was saluted by General Lee.
August-September At Orange Court House
Bristoe Campaign
October 22 The battalion was renamed the 2nd Maryland Infantry. It moved by rail to Hanover Junction and was brought together with the 1st and 2nd Maryland Cavalry and the 1st, 2nd & 4th Companies of Maryland Artillery to be under the command of Maryland native Colonel Bradley T. Johnson in a unit called the Maryland Line. They would winter at Hanover Junction.
May The battalion mustered 325 men.
May 8
Battle of North Anna
June 1-3
Battle of Cold Harbor

The battalion was in reserve and spontaneously counterattacked Federal forces to recapture its trenches. They were praised by General Lee, who said that they had saved Richmond. The battalion lost 9 men killed and 38 wounded.

June 10 Assigned to Archer’s (Fry’s) Brigade, Heth’s Division, 3rd Corps for the remainder of the war.
June 13
White Oak Swamp

The brigade served as skirmishers.

June 18 Crossed the James River at Drewry’s Bluff and proceeded by train until just before Petersburg, where the battalion began to entrench.
August 18-19
Weldon Railroad

Captain Crane was killed. Captain Duvall of Company C took command of the battalion. The battalion lost 11 men killed, 40 wounded, and 30 captured.

Late August Posted to trenches around Battery 37 of the Dimmock Line.
September 30
Peebles’ Farm

The battalion built and lost the hexagonal fort resulting in a seven hour fight. Captain Duvall was wounded, and Captain McAleer of Company D took command of the battalion. It lost 10 men killed, 32 wounded, and 4 captured, about 30% casualties.

October 1
Squirrel Level Road

The battalion mustered only 100 men. It lost 3 men killed and 7 wounded.

October Captain McAleer resigned and Captain Torsch of Company E took over battalion command.
February 5
Hatcher’s Run

The battalion lost 3 men killed, 3 wounded and 1 captured.

March 3 Fighting on the picket line cost the battalion 1 killed and 1 captured.
April 1-2
Fort Gregg & Fort Davis

The battalion lost 2 men mortally wounded, 7 wounded, and 134 men captured. The battalion flag was lost at this time, hidden when the fort was overrun and found by Federal soldiers from the 123rd Ohio Infantry.

April 3-4 The Fall of Richmond cost the battalion 48 prisoners captured in Richmond’s hospitals.
April 4-8 Five men were captured on the retreat from Petersburg.
April 9
Appomattox Court House

The battalion surrendered 59 men under Captain Torsch. The largest company was Company A with 12 men.