Confederate Regiments & BatteriesNorth Carolina

2nd North Carolina State Troops


The 2nd North Carolina Infantry Regiment was organized at Garysburg, Northampton County, at Camp Advance. The regiment was under the command of Colonel Charles Courtenay Tew, a graduate and professor at The Citadel who founded his own military academy just before the war. William Preston Bynum was the lieutenant colonel and William R. Cox was major.

Company A – “Rifle Rengers” – Captain Edward D. Hall
Company B – Captain John Howard
Company C – “Topsail Rifles” – Captain S.D. Pool
Company D – Captain Walter S. Stallings
Company E – Captain J. M. Morehead
Company F – Captain Hugh L. Cole
Company G – “Jones Rifle Guards” – Captain Harvey A. Sawyer
Company H – Captain James A. Washington
Company I – “Beaufort Rifles”  —Captain, D. W. Hurtt
Company K – “Elm City Rifles” – Captain George C. Lewis

June 19 Mustered into state service. The regiment mustered just under 1,300 men.
July -September Company E was transferred to the 7th North Carolina Infantry Regiment.
Moved to Virginia and assigned to District of Aquia, Department of Fredericksburg.
September Company C became Company H, 1st Artillery Regiment.
September-October The District of Aquia became part of the Department of Northern Virginia
Company A was assigned to heavy artillery and a new Company A under Captain James B. Waugh was assigned.
September 16 Williamsport, Maryland
October 20 A new Company E “Guilford Guards” was assigned.
October 23 A new Company C “Rip Van Winkles” – Capatain Gideon M. Roberts – was assigned.
October-March Assigned to Walker’s Brigade, Aquia District, Department of Northern Virginia.
March-May Walker’s Brigade was transferred to the Department of North Carolina.
May-June Assigned to District of Cape Fear, Department of North Carolina.
June Moved to Virginia and assigned to Garland’s Brigade, D.H. Hill’s Division, Army of Northern Virginia.
June Assigned to Garland’s Brigade, D.H. Hill’s Division, Army of Northern Virginia.
June-September Assigned to G.B. Anderson’s Brigade, D.H. Hill’s Division, Army of Northern Virginia.
June 25-July 1
Seven Days Battles

The regiment lost 116 casualties. Captain Lewis of Company K was wounded, and resigned due to his wound. Lieutenant Alexander Miller was promoted to captain and took over the company.

June 27
Gaines’s Mill
July 1
Battle of Malvern Hill

Captain Sawyer of Company G was mortally wounded and Captain Cobb of Company H was wounded. Lieutenants Barnes, Bemzan, Carter and Ferrell were wounded. Lieutenant Orin Williams was promoted to captain and took over Company G.

September 13-14
September 14
Battle of South Mountain
September 17
Battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam)

The regiment lost 50 casualties. Positioned in the Bloody Lane, their brigade turned back the Federal  Irish Brigade after an exchange of volleys at 30 paces.

Colonel Tew briefly took command of the brigade when Anderson was wounded, but was almost immediately killed by a shot to the head while he was talking with Colonel John Gordon in the Sunken Road. His body was never identified or recovered.

Captain John Howard of Company B then took command of the regiment. He was mortally wounded, and captured when Lee’s army retreated. Howard was promoted to major to date from the battle, but died of his wounds as a Federal prisoner on October 4. Captain Gideon M. Roberts of Company C then took command of the regiment as senior surviving officer. 

Captain Hurt of Company I was wounded commanding the skirmishers of the regiment. Lieutenant Isaac C. Applewhite of Company D was wounded, shot through the lungs, and resigned due to his injury.

September-June Assigned to G.B. Anderson’s-Ramseur’s-Cox’s Brigade, D.H. Hill’s-Rodes’s Division, 2nd Corps, Army of Northern Virginia. Lieutenant Colonel Bynum returned from sick leave and was promoted to colonel. Major William R. Cox was promoted to lieutenant colonel and Captain Stallings of Company D was promoted to major.
November 8 Captain Roberts resigned his commission.
December 13
Battle of Fredericksburg

The regiment was commanded by Colonel William P. Bynum. It was not engaged but lost 21 casualties to artillery fire.

March 21 Colonel Bynum resigned to assume political office as Solicitor of the 7th Judicial District. Lieutenant Colonel Cox was promoted to colonel.
May 1-4
Battle of Chancellorsville

The regiment was commanded by Colonel William Ruffin Cox. It lost 214 casualties, including Colonel Cox, who was wounded three times. Although painfully wounded, Cox stayed with the regiment almost until the end of the fighting. Captain James B. Waugh of Company A was mortally wounded and Lieutenant John Hobson of Company E was killed. Captain Cobb of Company H was wounded.

The heavy casualties came at the end of Jackson’s famous flank attack as it stalled out in the growing dusk, and were lost in fifteen minutes. The 2nd North Carolina was the last regiment sent in to the attack, and found itself charging Federal intrenchments held by unbroken troops.

June 14 Martinsburg
June 29 Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
July 1-3
Battle of Gettysburg

The regiment was commanded at Gettysburg by Major Daniel W. Hurtt until he was badly wounded in the head. Captain James T. Scales then took over command. The regiment brought 243 men to field, losing 61 casualties. 

From the War Department marker for Ramseur’s Brigade at Gettysburg:

July 1. Soon after Iverson’s and O’Neal’s Brigades had each suffered the repulse of three regiments with heavy losses Ramseur’s Brigade moved from its position here and vigorously assailed the right wing of the Union forces. The 14th and 30th Regiments with O’Neal’s 3rd Alabama turned the flank of the Union troops while the 2nd and 4th Regiments together with Doles’ Brigade and part of O’Neal’s struck them in the rear. A struggle ensued in which both sides suffered severely and the conflict here only ended with the retreat of the Union Corps from Seminary Ridge. In that retreat the Brigade made active pursuit and captured many prisoners.

July 2. Skirmishing on the southern borders of the town.

July 3. In sunken lane southwest of town.

July 4. In line on Seminary Ridge. At night began the march to Hagerstown.

July 14
Falling Waters and Williamsport
July 24
Near Manassas Gap
October 13-14

The regiment lost two men killed and two wounded.

November 7
Kelly’s Ford & Rappahannock Bridge

Many men were captured in the surprise night attack, particularly from Companies B, F, and K, who were on picket duty. Colonel Cox was wounded in the face while temporarily commanding the brigade. He would leave the regiment for 40 days furlough to recuperate. Cox would eventually suffer eleven wounds during the war. Captain Alexander Miller of Company K was captured.

Mine Run Campaign
May 5-6
Battle of the Wilderness

The regiment was commanded by Colonel Cox.

May 8-21
Battle of Spotsylvania Court House

In the first day of the battle as the forces met Lieutenant James Hobson was captured trying to capture a stand of Federal colors, chasing the color bearer back to northern lines and being taken there himself.

Colonel Cox was personally commended By General Lee for his actions on May 12, when the regiment was battered by the Federal assault. Three color bearers were lost. Captain N.B. Whitfield of Company C was killed, and Captain J. Turner Scales of Company E was wounded. 

After the battle Cox was given command of the brigade, which he led to the end of the war. Major Walter Stallings was promoted to lieutenant colonel and took over the regiment.

May 30 Bethesda Church
June 1-3
Cold Harbor

Captain Cobb was wounded.

June-December Assigned to Cox’s Brigade, Rodes’s-Grimes’s Division, Army of the Valley
July 9
Battle of Monocacy
July 12-13
Near Washington DC
July 17-18
Snickers Ferry

Lieutenant Colonel Stallings was mortally wounded when artillery shrapnel cut an artery.

September 19
Third Battle of Winchester

Captain Cobb was wounded again, losing his leg.

September 22
Battle of Fisher’s Hill

The regiment was commanded by Lieutenant Richard D. Hancock.

October 19
Battle of Cedar Creek
Siege of Petersburg

Returned to Lee’s army around Petersbur, attached to Cox’s Brigade, Grimes’s Division, 2nd Corps, Army of Northern Virginia

March 25
Fort Stedman
April 6
Sayler’s Creek & High Bridge
April 7
April 9
Appomattox Court House

The 2nd Noth Carolina surrendered 6 officers and 48 enlisted men under the command of Lieutenant Colonel James Turner Scales.

The men who were paroled were:

Officers—William. R. Cox, James Turner Scales, Robert H. Jones, Richard D. Hancock, Garry Fulghum, Larry B.Boyette, William J. Street, William T. Faircloth, William B. Bell, Samuel P. Collier.
Company A—John E. Banner, James G. Burt.
Company B—Elliot Todd, W. C. Batts, Thomas Flowers, Hodge Bass, Raiford Fulghum, Charles Maddry, Irvin Boykin, Bunyon Stett, John C. Wells, Wiley Statt, John Renike, Simeon Moore.
Company C—Furney Herald.
Company D—Benjamin A. Howard, J. T. Edmundson, John W. Fort, Franklin Webb, Harris Lamb, Leary B. Lamb, William Mumford, James T. Mitchell, William J. L. Mears.
Company E—L. R. Colley, L. W. Hackett, John Sills, John T. Warren.
Company F— Daniel Lane, David Johnson, James Brinkley, Lewis C. Taylor, John A. Poteat, Erasmus F. Page, Robert J. Flake.
Company G—John Saunders, H. H. Young, Stephen Alligood.
Company I—George W. Fulghum, John Austin, David Powers, A. C. Powell.
Company H—Jacob Williams, Robert Williams, Warren Corbett, William B. Pike.

The field officers were Colonels William P. Bynum, John P. Cobb, William R. Cox, and Charles C. Tew; Lieutenant Colonel Walter S. Stallings; and Majors John Howard, Daniel W. Hurtt, and James Turner Scales.