Confederate Regiments & BatteriesVirginia

June Organized at Manassas by expanding the 6th Virginia Infantry Battalion under the command of Colonel Montgomery D. Corse, Lieutenant Colonel William Munford and Major George W. Brent.
June 10 Moved to Manassas and assigned to the Fourth (Longstreet’s) Brigade of Beauregard’s Army of the Potomac. The regiment was organized into ten companies:

Company A – “Alexandria Riflemen” – Captain Morton Marye
Company B – Warren Rifles” – Captain Robert H. Simpson
Company C – “Loudoun Guard” – Captain Charles B. Tebbs
Company D – “Fairfax Rifles” – Captain William H. Dulany
Company E – “Mount Vernon Guard” – Captain Samuel H. Devaughn
Company F – “Prince Willim Rifles” – Captain George S. Hamilton
Company G – “emmett Guard” – Captain James E. Towson, Jr.
Company H – “Old Dominion Rifles” – Captain Arthur Herbert
Company I – “O’Connell Guards” – Captain Stephen W. Presstman
Company K – “Warrenton Rifles” – Captain Benjamin H. Shackleford

July 21
Battle of Manassas (Bull Run)
April The regiment reported 600 men in the ranks.
April 27 Lieutenant Colonel William Munford and Major George Brent were dropped in the army reorganization. Captain Morton Marye of Company A was elected to lieutenant colonel and Captain Arthur Herbert of Company C was elected to major. Lieutenant Andrew J. Hunphreys was elected captain of Company A.
May 5
Battle of Williamsburg

The regiment suffered 17 men killed and 47 wounded. Captain Andrew J. Hunphreys of Company A was killed.

May 25 Brigadier General A.P. Hill was promoted to divison command, and the brigade was taken over by Colonel James Kemper.
May 31-June 1
Battle of Seven Pines

The regiment suffered 18 men killed and 41 wounded. Captain Arthur Herbert of Company H was wounded in the foot.

June 26
Gaines’ Mill
June 30
Frayser’s Farm

The regiment suffered 17 men killed, 23 wounded and 73 missing. Lieutenant Colonel Marye and Captain Robert H. Simpson of Company B were captured.

July 31 Lieutenant Colonel Marye and Captain Robert H. Simpson were exchanged.
August The brigade was under the temporary command of Colonel Montgomery Corse while Brigadier General Kemper took command of a temporary division.
August 30
2nd Battle of Manassas (Bull Run)

The regiment took part in Longstreet’s attack on the Union flank at Chinn Ridge. It lost 48 casualties, It was commanded by Colonel Montgomery D. Corse, who was wounded but remained in the field. Lieutenant Colonel Morton Marye was wounded and would lose his leg, and Captain Robert Simpson was also wounded.

September Brigadier General Kemper resumed command of the brigade, which became part of the division of Brigadier General David R. Jones in Longstreet’s Command
September 14
Battle of Boonsborough (South Mountain)

The regiment was commanded by Colonel Montgomery D. Corse and lost 13 men. Colonel Corse was again wounded, but remained in the field. Adjutant John C.H. Bryany was wounded.

From the War Department marker for Kemper’s Brigade on the Antietam Battlefield:

Kemper’s Brigade reached Sharpsburg about noon September 15th and took position on Cemetery Hill. In the afternoon the Brigade moved to the ravine about 520 yards northwest of this. At noon of the 17th, the 7th and 24th Regiments were sent down the Harpers Ferry Road about 520 and 850 yards respectively, to guard the right flank. Upon the approach of the 9th Corps, about 3 P.M. the 1st, 11th and 17th Regiments advanced to the high ground in their front and met the charge of Fairchild’s Brigade; they were driven from their position and retreated through the town. They reformed with Garnett’s and Drayton’s Brigades in the Harpers Ferry Road just south of the town and, co-operated with Toombs’ Brigade, and A.P. Hill’s Division, checked the further advance of the enemy and reoccupied the ground from which they had been driven, where, joined by the 7th and 24th, they remained until the morning of the 19th, when the Brigade recrossed the Potomac.

From Colonel Corse’s Official Report on the 17th Virginia at South Mountain:

My regiment was placed in line of battle about 4 p. m., in a field to the right of the road leading to the summit of the mountain and to the left of Crampton’s Gap. In the act of taking that position the regiment was subjected to a very fierce shelling from a battery of the enemy about 600 or 800 yards on our right, which enfiladed our line. Fortunately however, we suffered very little loss from that, having but 2 men slightly wounded. I moved the regiment forward about 100 yards, by your orders, toward a woods in our front, and ordered Lieutenant [F. W.] Lehew, with his company, to deploy forward as skirmishers into the woods and to engage the enemy, which were supposed to be there. Very soon I heard shots from our skirmishers. Your aide, Captain Beckham, at this time delivered me an order to move my regiment by the left flank and to connect my line with the Eleventh, occupying a corn-field, which order was obeyed, when Colonel [William D.] Stuart’s regiment (Fifty-sixth Virginia), of Pickett’s brigade, joined my right. Immediately the brigade on our right became hotly engaged. We reserved our fire, no enemy appearing in our front. After the fire had continued about fifteen minutes, Colonel Stuart reported to me that the troops on his right had fallen back. I observed that they had abandoned the left of the Eleventh. I communicated my intention to Colonel Stuart and Major Clement, of the Eleventh, to fall back about 10 or 15 steps behind a fence, which was simultaneously done by the three regiments in good order. We held this position until long after dark, under a severe fire of musketry obliquely on our right flank and in front, until nearly every cartridge was exhausted.

Shortly after the enemy had ceased firing (about 7.30 p. m.), I received your order to withdraw my regiment, which was done in good order, and halted to rest on the Boonsborough and Fredericktown road, with the other regiments of your brigade.

September 17
Battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam)  

The regiment was commanded by Colonel Corse and numbered only 56 men. Of these, 7 officers and 24 men were killed and wounded and 10 taken prisoner. Only seven men remained in the ranks at the end of the day: Colonel Corse was wounded for a third time, this time severely, and captured. Adjutant John C.H. Bryany was also wounded again, then captured.

About 4 p. m. the enemy was reported to be advancing. We moved forward with the 1st and 11th Regiments (the 7th and 24th being detached to operate on some other part of the field) of the brigade to the top of the hill to a fence, and immediately engaged the enemy at a distance of 50 or 60 yards, at the same time under fire from their batteries on the hills beyond. My regiment, being the extreme right on the line there engaging the enemy, came directly opposite the colors of the regiment to which it was opposed, consequently being overlapped by them, as far as I could judge, at least 100 yards. Regardless of the great odds against them, the men courageously stood their ground until, overwhelmed by superior numbers, they were forced to retire.

I have to state here, general, that we put into the fight but 46 enlisted men and 9 officers. Out of this number, 7 officers and 24 men were killed and wounded and 10 taken prisoners.

It was here that Captain J. T. Burke and Lieutenant Littleton fell-two of the bravest and most valuable officers of my command. Color-Corporal Harper also fell, fighting heroically, at his post. These brave men, I think, deserve particular mention.

I received a wound in the foot, which prevented me from retiring with our line, and was left in the hands of the enemy for a short time, but was soon rescued by General Toombs’ brigade and a portion of yours, which drove the enemy back beyond the line we had occupied in the morning.

I saw Major Herbert come up with a portion of the men of the 1st, 11th, and 17th Regiments of your brigade, on the left of General Toombs’ line, cheering the men on with his accustomed cool and determined valor.

Lieutenant W. W. Athey, Company C, captured a regimental color of the 103rd New York Regiment, presented to them by the city council of New York City, which I herewith forward to you.

My wound being painful, I rode to the surgeon to have it examined, leaving the command to Major Herbert.

November 1 Colonel Corse was promoted to brigadier general. Lieutenant Colonel Morton Marye was promoted to colonel, Major Arthur Herbert was promoted to lieutenant colonel and Captain Robert H. Simpson of Company B was promoted to major.
November 6 Assigned to Corse’s Brigade, Pickett’s Division, First Army Corps
December 13
Battle of Fredericksburg
Suffolk Campaign

Pickett’s Division was temporarily transferred to the Department of Southern Virginia for Longstreet’s Suffolk Campaign

May Returned to the 1st Corps, Army of Northern Virginia too late for the Chancellorsville campaign.
June-July Detached with Corse’s Brigade from Pickett’s Division to guard Hanover Junction north of Richmond and did not take part in the Gettysburg campaign.
July 20 Skirmish at Manassas Gap
February 1-3
Battle of New Berne, North Carolina
May 16
Battle of Drewry’s Bluff

Major Robert H. Simpson was mortally wounded in the leg.

May 21
Rejoined the Army of Northern Virginia
May 23-26
Battle of the North Anna
June 1-3
Battle of Cold Harbor
June 9 Major Simpson died from complications from his amputated leg.
Petersburg Siege
June 30 Captain Grayson Tyler of Company F was promoted to major.
July 8 Colonel Marye retired to the Invalid Corps due to disability from his leg wound. Lieutenant Colonel Arthur Herbert was promoted to colonel and Major Tyler was promoted to lieutenant colonel.
March 30-31
Dinwiddie Court House
April 1
Battle of Five Forks
April 6
Battle of Sayler’s Creek

Lieutenant Colonel Grayson Tyler and much of the regiment were captured.

Aprl 9
Appomattox Court House

The regiment surrendered 2 officers and 46 enlisted men under Colonel Arthur Herbert, who was also in command of Corse’s Brigade as senior officer.