Confederate Regiments & BatteriesVirginia

“Stribling’s Battery”

The Fauquier (Virginia) Light Artillery lost 12 men killed, 29 wounded, and 40 captured during the Civil War. There is a marker at Gettysburg showing the battery’s position.

June 22 Recruiting for the company started in Markham, Virginia
July 1 The company mustered into Confederate service as the “Markham Guards,” with Dr. Robert M. Stribling as captain, James H. Kidwll as First Lieutenant and William C. Marshall and William N. Green as Second Lieutenants.
July The company drilled at Goose Creek Baptist Chirch, then was assigned to guard the Manassas Gap Railroad line from Front Royal to Manassas
August 1 The company was ordered to Manassas and became Company G of the 49th Virginia Infantry Regiment.
October The company was transferred to the artillery, renamed the “Faquier Artillery,” and outfitted with 2 24-pounder howitzers and two iron 12-pounder guns. The battery was assigned to General D.R. Jones’ South Carolina Brigade.
Siege of Yorktown

Moved to the Peninsula and assigned a position in Confederate works at Wynn’s Mill near Yorktown

May 3 Withdrew under Union fire to new positions near Williamsburg
Advanced to Fort Magruder to help drive back a Federal attack, which was followed by a Confederate counterattack.
May 12 The battery was reorganized and mustered into Confederate service for three years under Captain Stribling, First Lieutenant Marshall, and Second Lieutenants Gray Caroll and Thomas Archer.
May 31-June 1
Battle of Seven Pines

The battery fought until dark, losing its first casualty, Private George Pritchard, who was killed along with the horse he was driving.

June The battery was transferred to Anderson’s Brigade, Huger’s Division
June 25
King’s School House

Lieutenant Carroll took a section of guns forward to support Armistead’s Brigade and was heavily engaged but suffered no casualties

June 30 Attached to R.H. Anderson’s Brigade and moved to Glendale. The battery’s old guns were replaced with three captured 12-pounder Napoleons and one 3″ Ordnance Rifle
July 1
Malvern Hill

The battery was not engaged, but remained on picket duty on Malvern Hill after Federal forces withdrew.

August 5 The battery helped repel a Federal probe, losing Privates William Sudduth and John Bell killed, Private Joseph Kendel mortally wounded and another man captured. The battery was forced to leave the field when its ammunition ran low.
August Assigned to Longstreet’s Command along with Squires’ Company of the Washington Artillery and Chapman’s Dixie Artillery.
Rappahannock River

The battery fired almost 1,200 rounds in a four hour artillery duel. The 3″ ordnance Rifle burst, and five men were wounded.

August 25
Waterloo Bridge

The battery engaged in a duel across the Rappahannock, with no casualties.

August 26 Moved north to join Jackson near Manassas
August 29
Second Battle of Manassas (Bull Run)

Took position on the Confederate right flank attached to Jenkins’ North Carolina Brigade in Kemper’s Division of Longstreet’s Command. The battery fired on Porter’s Fifth Corps and Reynold’s Division and lost a number of men wounded

August 30
Second Battle of Manassas (Bull Run) (continued)

Supported Jenkins’ Brigade in its advance toward Chinn Ridge. After Union forces withdrew the battery was joined by the Loudoun Artillery and a company of the Washington Artillery, firing on Union troops along Sudley Road until they retreated toward Washington

The Maryland Campaign

The battery did not advance into Maryland with Lee’s invasion but due to its battered state was sent to Winchester, Virginia. The battery had less than 40 men and its equipment was in a poor state.

October 4 The battery was given 43 veterans from the disbanded Loudoun Artillery and Bedford Artillery and 40 new recruits, and was issued two 24-pounder howitzers and four 12-pounder Napoleons.
November 23 Moved to near Fredericksburg on Orange Plank Road and attached to Pickett’s Division of the 1st Corps
December 13
Battle of Fredericksburg

The battery was not engaged.

February General Lee reorganized the army artillery into battalions, and the battery was assigned as Company A of Dearing’s Battalion, assigned to Pickett’s Division
February 25 Moved to the Suffolk area with Longstreet.
April 16 Ordered to Fort Huger, an old War of 1812 fort on the Nansemond River, to block Union river traffic into Suffolk
April 17 Sank a gunboat on the Nansemond River
April 19 Union artillery opened fire on the fort, which was then surprised by an attack from its landward by 270 Union troops. The covering Confederate infantry was not in position, and the Federals captured all five guns and 137 men in the fort, 55 from the Fauquier Artillery.
April 21 The prisoners lost at Fort Huger were paroled. They were returned to duty in violation of their paroles.
May 8 Ordered to Richmond to refit and requip. The battery was given six new Napoleons.
June 1 The battery was redesignated Company A, 38th Virginia Light Artillery Battalion. The battery continued to be referred to as the Fauquier Artillery and the battalion as Dearing’s Battalion.Dearing’s Battalion remained with Pickett’s Division in Longstreet’s 1st Corps in the reorganization of the Army of the Potomac.
July 1 The battery was at Chambersburg with Pickett’s Division.
July 2 Pickett’s Division was ordered to Gettysburg
July 3
Battle of Gettysburg

Arrived at Gettysburg in the early morning, bringing 134 men to the field. The battery took up a position west of the Peach Orchard. They took part in the great bombardment which preceded Pickett’s Charge, focusing their fire on the Copse of Trees and firing off most of their ammunition. Union counterbattery fire wounded four men and killed ten horses.

From the War Department marker on the battlefield:

July 3. Advanced to the front about daybreak. Later in the morning took position on the crest of ridge west of Emmitsburg Road and near the Roger’s House. Drove back with a dozen well directed rounds a strong line of skirmishers whose fire wounded a few men and horses. Bore a conspicuous part in the cannonade preceding Longstreet’s assault. But its ammunition being exhausted about the time the assault began and repeated efforts to obtain a fresh supply proving fruitless the Battery was withdrawn.

July 4. In line of battle all day with the left wing of McLaws’ Division. Marched about sunset to Black Horse Tavern.

July 24 At Culpeper Court House
September Moved to Petersburg with Pickett’s Division
January Moved to North Carolina for the New Bearn campaign
February 1 The battery, along with 200 infantrymen and a section of guns from the Fayette Artillery, captured a redoubt with 400 prisoners and two 3″ Ordnance Rifles.
February Captain Stribling was promoted to major and assigned to Cuttshaw’s Artillery Battalion in the Second Corps. Lieutenant Marshal was promoted to captain and took command of the battery.
April Moved to Plymouth assigned to Hoke’s Division
April 19
Capture of Plymouth

The battery advanced to pistol shot of the Union redoubts and many members of the battery joined the infantry in swarming the redoubt, where they turned the captured Union guns against the garrison. Private F.W. Powell and two other enlisted men were killed.

April The battalion was transferred to the General Beauregard’s Department of North Carolina and assigned to Major P.W. Read, and moved north to the defense of Richmond.
May 16
Attack on Butler’s force at Bermuda Hundred

Captain Marshall was wounded and Private James Pearson was mortally wounded. Lieutenant Gray Carroll took temporary command of the battery until Captain Marshall could return in February of 1865.

May 31
Cold Harbor

General Hoke was forced back from the crossroads, entrenching on the high ground neaby

June 3
Cold Harbor

The battery defended the center of the Confederate Line. Privates Richard Pearson and James Wortman were wounded.

June Assigned to Read’s Artillery Battalion, Department of North Carolina and Southern Virginia
June 15 Moved to Petersburg and took position on Hare House Hill. The Siege of Petersburg began. Sergeants John W. Birkby and John H. Fouch and Privates William H. Harding and George Saunders would be killed during the ten months of the siege
October Transferred to R.H. Anderson’s Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia. Lieutenant Colonel Stribling took command of the 38th Battalion
March 25
Attack on Fort Stedman

Two detachments from the battery were assigned to the attack to take over Union guns that might be captured in the attack. Sergeants Heath Brent and Frank Cable were killed and Private Frank Hoffman was wounded.

April 2 Retreat from Petersburg. Captain Marshall returned to command, and the battery was assigned to Gordon’s Corps
April 6
Sailor’s Creek

Fought near the Lockett Farm, losing two guns but saving two from a disaster where a third of the Confederate forces were captured.

April 8 At Appomattox Court House
April 9 The battery was in the advance of the army when Custer’s Federal cavalry moved in behind them and separated them from the main body of Lee’s army. Unable to break back through, the battery continued on to Lynchburg when Lee was forced to surrender, although three men from the battery did surrender with Lee’s army.
April 11 The battery reported to General Lomax, who advised them to surrender. But because many of the men had violated their parole and feared they would be shot, it was decided to disband the battery and the men returned home.