Confederate Regiments & Batteries > Georgia

Spring Organized at Athens, Georgia under the command of Colonel Thomas W. Thomas, Lieutenant Colonel Linton Stevens and Major William M. Macintosh.

Company A – “Delhi Rangers” – Wilkes County
Company B – “Tugalo Blues” – Franklin County
Company C – “Fireside Guards” – Elbert County
Company D – “Stephens Home Guards” – Taliaferro County
Company E – “Hancock Volunteers” – Hancock County
Company F – “Bowman Volunteers” – Elbert County
Company G – “Lamar Confederates” – Lincoln County
Company H – “Pool Volunteers” – Hart County
Company I – “McIntosh Volunteers” – Elbert County
Company K – “Hancock Confederate Guards” – Hancock County

July 22 The regiment was moved to Virginia.
August Assigned to Toombs’ Brigade the Potomac Distric
December 19 Lieutenant Colonel Stevens resigned. Major Macintosh was promoted to lieutenant colonel and Captain Joseph T. Smith was promoted to major.
April The regiment was reported to number 441 men.
March 5 Major Smith resigned.
March 26 Colonel Thomas resigned due to disability. William M. McIntosh was promoted to colonel.
May 1 Major  William T. Millican was elected lieutenant colonel and Captain Theophilus J. Smith was elected major.
May 23 Toombs’ Brigade became part of D.R. Jones’ Division
June 25-July 1
Seven Days Battles

The regiment lost 108 casualties during the week of fighting before Richmond.

June 27-28
Battle of Garnett’s Farm

Colonel McIntosh was killed.

July 1
Battle of Malvern Hill
July 22 Lieutenant Colonel Millican was promoted to colonel.
July 25 Major Theophilus J. Smith resigned.
August 1 Captain P.J. Shannon was promoted to major.
August 28-30
Second Battle of Manassas

The regiment lost 54 casualties.

Maryland Campaign

The regiment lost 36 men casualties during the campaign.

September 13 At Hagerstown
September 14 Ordered late in the evening to march to Sharpsburg.
September 15 Arrived at Sharpsburg and was placed on the bluff above what we become known as Burnside’s Bridge.
September 16 Returned to Sharpsburg by forced marches across the Potomac at Williamsport and via Shepherdstown.
September 17
Battle of Sharpsburg, or Antietam

The regiment returned from its pursuit of the Union cavalry and joined the brigade on its right.

Colonel Millican was mortally wounded and captured. He died later that day at David Smith’s Farm. Captain Thomas H. Jackson of Company H took command of the regiment as senior surviving officer.

From the first of two War Department markers for Toombs’ Brigade that were on the Antietam battlefield, located on the Harpers Ferry Road just south of Sharpsburg:

Toombs’ Brigade took position on the evening of September 15, on the bluff commanding the Burnside Bridge and ford a short distance below. His skirmishers and several Batteries of Artillery engaged the enemy during the afternoon of the 16th. On the morning of the 17th the Brigade was exposed to a heavy fire from the enemy’s Artillery on the opposite side of the Antietam. Between 9 A.M. and noon the enemy made several attempts to carry the bridge, but failed. An assault at 1 P.M. was successful and the Brigade fell back and formed line in this road, on the extreme right of the Division and co-operated with Archer’s Brigade of A.P. Hill’s Division in checking any further advance of the enemy.

From the second of two War Department markers for Toombs’ Brigade that were on the Antietam battlefield, at one time on the west side of Branch Avenue but no longer standing:

On the morning of the 17th, the 2d and 20th Georgia of Toombs’ Brigade, the 50th Georgia of Drayton’s Brigade, and a Company each of Hood’s Texas Brigade and Jenkins’ Brigade occupied a position commanding the Burnside Bridge and Snavely’s Ford. At 1 P.M., the Ninth Army Corps forced the passage of the bridge and ford, and Toombs withdrew his command to the Antietam Furnace Road in the suburbs of Sharpsburg. During the engagement at the bridge and ford, and while falling back, Toombs was joined by the 15th and 17th Georgia, of his Brigade, and five Companies of the 11th Georgia of Col. George T. Anderson’s Brigade. Re-forming his command on the Antietam Furnace Road, where he was joined by portions of Kemper’s, Drayton’s and Garnett’s Brigades, Toombs advanced on the left of Archer’s Briagade of A.P. Hill’s Division and, at this point, engaged the Federal troops in the lane and fields beyond. Late in the afternoon his command was relieved by Branch’s Brigade of A.P. Hill’s Division and moved easterly across the Sharpsburg Road, where it remained until withdrawn to re-cross the Potomac.

From Captain Jackson’s Official Report for the 15th Georgia in the battle:

On the morning of the date above mentioned [September 17 – Ed.] the regiment crossed the Potomac from Shepherdstown and marched toward the scene of battle; was ordered in position on the right wing on a road leading I know not where [Harpers Ferry- Shepherdstown Road – Ed.]; remained but a short time, when orders came to move forward toward a bridge leading across the Antietam River. Before reaching there were ordered to halt by General Toombs in person, to remain in a corn-field, after which we were ordered to about-face, and march by the right flank by file left into a clover field, where we were ordered to lie down. In the meantime skirmishers were ordered forward, who engaged the enemy’s skirmishers with great gallantry; also a company of the regiment was ordered to the right of our position as skirmishers to prevent a flank movement from the enemy. The regiment, then composed of eight companies, lay inactive until about 4 o’clock in the afternoon, when we were relieved by General Hill’s division. We immediately were ordered by Colonel Benning to draw in our skirmishers in front and move, which we did, on the road we first occupied. We marched but a short distance up the road when the enemy advanced on a battery, which when we reached had been deserted by our troops. We checked them, crossed the fence at the road, and charged the enemy a distance of half a mile, until we reached a rock fence, where we halted and continued firing until dark, at which point the colonel commanding was killed, and I, second in command, was, after dark, ordered by General Toombs in person to move the regiment and occupy a different position. Not knowing of the orders that were issued during the day, and unable to give a more perfect account of the movements ordered, of all I could see the officers and men behaved gallantly, and obeyed every order issued to them with promptness. The company sent out as skirmishers on the right of our position reported back the next morning, they not being relieved until the regiment was moved from where they left it, which prevented them from finding the regiment sooner.

August 1 Captain P.J. Shannon was elected major.
October Toombs’ Brigade was transferred to Hood’s Division due to General Jones’ heart disease.
October 30 Major Theophilus J. Smith, who had resigned in July, was promoted to lieutenant colonel.
Battle of Fredericksburg
December The regiment was transferred to Benning’s Brigade
January 1 Dudley M. DuBose was promoted to colonel.
January 14 Lieutenant Colonel Smith resigned (for the second time) due to disability.
March 3 Brigadier General Toombs resigned. Colonel Benning took over the brigade
March 4 Captain Stephen Z. Hearnsberger was promoted to lieutenant colonel.
April 11-May 4 Suffolk Campaign
May Rejoined Lee’s army on the Rappahannock.
July 1-3
Battle of Gettysburg

The regiment was commanded by Colonel Dudley McIver Du Bose and brought 368 men to the field. It lost 14 men killed, 58 men wounded, and 99 missing. Lieutenant Colonel Stephen Z. Hearnsberger was captured.

The regiment fought on July 2 along the Wheatfield Road. On July 3 it did not receive word of the withdrawal of Hood’s Division from in front of the Round Tops, and lost a large number of men captured when nearly surrounded by Union troops.

From the War Department marker for Benning’s Brigade on the Gettysburg battlefield:

July 2. Arrived and formed line about 4 P. M. in rear of Law’s and Robertson’s Brigades and moving forward in support of these took prominent part in the severe conflict which resulted in the capture of Devil’s Den together with a number of prisoners and three guns of the 4th New York Battery.

July 3. Held Devil’s Den and the adjacent crest of rocky ridge until late in the evening when under orders the Brigade retired to position near here. Through mistake of orders the 15th Georgia did not retire directly but moved northward encountered a superior Union force and suffered considerable loss.

July 4. Occupied breastworks near here facing southward until midnight.

July 5. About 5 A. M. began the march to Hagerstown Md.

September Transferred with Longstreet and the rest of hood’s Division to the Western Theater.
September 18-20
Battle of Chickamauga

Colonel Du Bose was wounded. Major P.J. Shannon took command.

October 28-29
Battle of Wauhatchie
November 16
Campbell’s Station
November 20 – December 4
Siege of Knoxville
December 5 Withdrew from Knoxville to the northeast.
December 6 To Rutledge.
December 9 To Rogersville.
December 14
Bean’s Station
February 12 Major General Charles W. Field was assigned to permanently take over the wounded Hood’s Division.
April The regiment lost 73 men
May 5-6
Battle of the Wilderness
May 12-21
Battle of Spotsylvania Court House

Colonel Du Bose took command of the brigade when Brigadier General Benning was wounded.

June 3
Battle of Cold Harbor
August-December The regiment lost 50 casualties
September 29-30
Battle of Chaffin’s Farm (Fort Harrison)

Captain Thomas Jackson was captured. He would remain in Union prisoner of war camps until the end of the war.

November 16 Colonel DuBose was promoted to brigadier general
April 9
Appomattox Court House

The regiment surrendered 20 officers and 226 men under the command of Major Peter J. Shannon.