Confederate Regiments & Batteries > Georgia

April Organized in Brunswick, Georgia.

Company A – “Banks County Guards” – Banks County – Captain Daniel G. Candler
Company B – “Jackson Blues” – Meriwether County – Captain William T. Harris
Company C – “Semmes Guards” – Muscogee County – Captain William S. Shepherd
Company D – “Burke Sharpshooters” – Burke County – Captain William R. Holmes
Company E – “The Joe Browns” – Fannin County – Captain William A. Campbell
Company F – “Cherokee Brown Riflemen” – Cherokee County – Captain Thomas E. Dickerson
Company G – “Columbus Guards” – Muscogee County – Captain Roswell Ellis
Company H – “Wright Infantry” – Whitfield County – Captain Jesse A. Glenn
Company I – “Buena Vista Guards” – Marion County – Captain Charles R. Wiggins
Company K – “Stewart Greys” – Stewart County – Captain Jared J. Ball

April 21 Arrived at Tybee Island.
May 7 Paul Jones Semmes was appointed colonel.
May 9 The regiment was mustered into Confederate service by Major W.M. Gardner.
May 14 Lieutenant Alpheus Skidmore Harris of Company F was elected lieutenant colonel.
May 29 Ordered to Brunswick, Georgia and stationed at Camp Semmes.
June 1 Edgar M. Butt was elected major.
July 18 Lieutenant J.T. Goddard resigned.
July 24 Ordered to Richmond, Virginia. Private William S. Shepherd was elected captain of Company C.
July 29 Arrived in Richmond
August 9 Lieutenant Wesley C. Hodges of Company G was elected colonel of the 17th Georgia Infantry Regiment.
August 15 Moved to Camp Bee near Aquia Creek.
August 24 Left Camp Bee
August 26 Arrived at Manassas Junction. Assigned to Toombs’ Brigade, 2nd Corps, Army of the Potomac.
September 16 Marched to camp four miles from Centreville at Tyler’s House.
September 18 Moved camp three miles toward Fairfax Court House
September 23 Ordered to Falls Church for post duty.
September 30 Returned to camp.
October 15 Lieutenant Robert Allan died of fever near Manassas.
October 16 Moved to camp near Centreville. Assigned to Toombs’ Brigade, 2nd Corps, Potomac District, Department of Northern Virginia.
October 20 The regiment was ordered out for three days post duty
October 23 Returned to camp. Lieutenant William C. Richardson of Company K died in Warrenton.
January-April Assigned to Toombs’ Brigade, G.W. Smith’s Division, Potomac District, Department of Northern Virginia.
March 11 Colonel Semmes was promoted to Brigadier General
April-May Reported strength of 607 men. Assigned to Toomb’s Brigade, Toombs’-D.R. Jones’ Division, Magruder’s Command, Army of Northern Virginia
April 20 Captain Daniel Candler of Company A resigned due to disability.
April 24 Captain Jesse A. Glenn of Company H was elected colonel of the 36th Georgia Infantry Regiment.
April 28 The army reorganization was held:

Captain William A. Campbell of Company E and Captain Thomas E. Dickerson of Company F retired.

Major Butt was elected colonel.
Captain William R. Holmes of Company C was elected lieutenant colonel.
William T. Harris of company B was elected major.
Lieutenant William W. Charlton was elected captain of Company A.
Lieutenant Abner M. Lewis was elected captain of Company B.
Lieutenant Walter A. Thompson was elected captain of Company C.
Lieutenant Alonzo B. Shuford was elected captain of Company F.
Sergeant Benjamin L. Hancock was elected captain of Company H.
Lieutenant John T. Maddox was elected captain of Company I.

May 23 Toombs’ Brigade became part of D.R. Jones’ Division, Magruder’s Command, Army of Northern Virginia
June 25-July 1
Seven Days Battles
June 27-28
Garnett’s Farm

Seven companies were engaged. The regiment lost 144 casualties out of 271 men on the field.

July 1
Battle of Malvern Hill

The regiment lost 11 men killed and 70 wounded. Colonel Butt was wounded and permanently disabled. Captain Walter A. Thompson of Company C was killed and Captain James Beck was wounded.

July-October Assigned to Toombs’ Brigade, D.R. Jones’ Division, Longstreet’s Command, Army of Northern Virginia
August 28-30
Second Battle of Manassas

The regiment lost 56 casualties out of 163 men engaged. Captain Shuford of Company F was killed on August 30. Lieutenant Nelson L. Dickerson was elected captain of Company F.

September 15 Marched to Sharpsburg and was placed on the bluff above what became known as Burnside’s Bridge.
September 16 Engaged with Union skirmishers.
September 17
Battle of Sharpsburg, or Antietam

The 2nd Georgia Infantry was under the command of Lieutenant Colonel William R. Holmes. It went into battle with 107 men, defending the bluffs above Burnside’s Bridge.

The regiment lost 2 officers and 4 men killed, 2 officers and 26 men wounded, and 2 officers and 6 men captured, almost half its effective strength. Lieutenant Colonel Holmes was killed and Major Harris was wounded. Lieutanant William M. Boynton of Company K was killed. Lieutenant Benjamin Franklin Kincaid of Company E was wounded in his left arm and right leg, losing his arm.  Captain Abner M. Lewis of Company B took over the regiment as senior surviving officer.

From the first of two War Department markers for Toombs’ Brigade that were on the Antietam battlefield, located on the Harpers Ferry Road just south of Sharpsburg:

Toombs’ Brigade took position on the evening of September 15, on the bluff commanding the Burnside Bridge and ford a short distance below. His skirmishers and several Batteries of Artillery engaged the enemy during the afternoon of the 16th. On the morning of the 17th the Brigade was exposed to a heavy fire from the enemy’s Artillery on the opposite side of the Antietam. Between 9 A.M. and noon the enemy made several attempts to carry the bridge, but failed. An assault at 1 P.M. was successful and the Brigade fell back and formed line in this road, on the extreme right of the Division and co-operated with Archer’s Brigade of A.P. Hill’s Division in checking any further advance of the enemy.

From the second of two War Department markers for Toombs’ Brigade that were on the Antietam battlefield, at one time on the west side of Branch Avenue but no longer standing:

On the morning of the 17th, the 2d and 20th Georgia of Toombs’ Brigade, the 50th Georgia of Drayton’s Brigade, and a Company each of Hood’s Texas Brigade and Jenkins’ Brigade occupied a position commanding the Burnside Bridge and Snavely’s Ford. At 1 P.M., the Ninth Army Corps forced the passage of the bridge and ford, and Toombs withdrew his command to the Antietam Furnace Road in the suburbs of Sharpsburg. During the engagement at the bridge and ford, and while falling back, Toombs was joined by the 15th and 17th Georgia, of his Brigade, and five Companies of the 11th Georgia of Col. George T. Anderson’s Brigade. Re-forming his command on the Antietam Furnace Road, where he was joined by portions of Kemper’s, Drayton’s and Garnett’s Brigades, Toombs advanced on the left of Archer’s Briagade of A.P. Hill’s Division and, at this point, engaged the Federal troops in the lane and fields beyond. Late in the afternoon his command was relieved by Branch’s Brigade of A.P. Hill’s Division and moved easterly across the Sharpsburg Road, where it remained until withdrawn to re-cross the Potomac.

From Major Harris’ Official Report on the 2nd Georgia in the battle:

On the morning of the 14th [15th] we were ordered to take position on the banks of the Antietam River, to the right of the bridge. The Twentieth Georgia was on our left and directly in front and to the left of the bridge. We remained in this position, after having deployed the regiment behind trees and barricades made of fence rails, until the morning of the 16th [17th] when our pickets were driven in. The enemy commenced an attack upon the center of the regiment at 9 o’clock then immediately afterward upon the left, with how many regiments we are unable to ascertain. They were repulsed several times, but their re-enforcements continually came pouring in; and besides, all the while a battery completely enfilading our lines was playing upon us. We held the position until our last round of ammunition was exhausted. At this time Lient. Col. William R. Holmes, commanding, was killed, the command falling upon Maj. W. T. Harris. He, seeing the condition of affairs, ordered the regiment to retire by the left flank, which was done in good order. The regiment was conducted by the major back to the reserve, where it remained until next morning… Our regiment went into the engagement with eighteen officers and eighty-nine men. The number of the enemy could not have been less than 7,000. From what we saw, the loss of the enemy was supposed to be 300 or 400.

October Toombs’ Brigade was transferred to Hood’s Division due to General Jones’ heart disease.
December 13
Battle of Fredericksburg
March 3 Colonel Benning took command of the brigade from Colonel Toombs, who had resigned.
March 20 Lieutenant Colonel Skidmore Harris left to become colonel of the 43rd Georgia Infantry. Major Alpheus Harris was promoted to lieutenant colonel and Captain William S. Shepherd of Company C was elected major, both effective September 17.
April 11-May 4
Suffolk Campaign
May 26 Captain James W. Beck of Company K was promoted to major.
July 2-5
Battle of Gettysburg

The regiment was commanded by Lt. Colonel William T. Harris and brought 348 men to the field. It lost 25 men kiled, 66 wounded and 11 missing in fighting around the Devil’s Den.

Lieutenant Colonel Harris was killed on July 2 and Major William S. Shepherd took command. Captains Nelson L. Dickerson of Company F and Benjamin L. Hancock of Company H, and Lieutenant G.W. Mays of Company G were killed. Lieutenant J.C. Sapp was wounded.

Major William S. Shepherd was promoted to lieutenant colonel and Captain William W. Charlton of Company A was elected major. Lieutenant John G. Heard was elected captain of Company F and Lieutenant William M. Pitman was elected captain of Company H.

From the War Department marker for Benning’s Brigade on the Gettysburg battlefield:

July 2. Arrived and formed line about 4 P. M. in rear of Law’s and Robertson’s Brigades and moving forward in support of these took prominent part in the severe conflict which resulted in the capture of Devil’s Den together with a number of prisoners and three guns of the 4th New York Battery.

July 3. Held Devil’s Den and the adjacent crest of rocky ridge until late in the evening when under orders the Brigade retired to position near here. Through mistake of orders the 15th Georgia did not retire directly but moved northward encountered a superior Union force and suffered considerable loss.

July 4. Occupied breastworks near here facing southward until midnight.

July 5. About 5 A. M. began the march to Hagerstown Md.

July 2 Captain William W. Charlton of Company A was promoted to major effective to this date. Lieutenant John G. Heard was elected captain of Company F effective this date.
July 5 Lieutenant Henry L. Rockwell of Company K was captured in Greencastle, Pennsylvania.
August 1 Lieutenant Judson C. Sapp of Company C was killed in Virginia.
September Transferred with Longstreet and the rest of Hood’s Division to the Western Theater.
September 11 Major Beck was promoted to lieutenant colonel.
September 18-20
Battle of Chickamauga

The regiment was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel William S. Shepherd and Major W.W. Charlton. Abner M. Lewis of Company B was wounded, losing his leg. Lieutenant R. M. Little of Company H was killed.

October 8 Captain John T. Maddox of Company I resigned.
October 28-29
Battle of Wauhatchie
November 16
Campbell’s Station
November 20 – December 4
Siege of Knoxville
December 5 Withdrew from Knoxville to the northeast.
December 6 To Rutledge.
December 9 To Rogersville. Lieutenant Joseph B. Newell was elected to captain of Company K.
December 14 Bean’s Station
January 15 Major William W. Charlton resigned. Captain Abner McC. Lewis of Company B was elected major. Lieutenant Benjamin Franklin Kincaid of Company E resigned due to disability from his Sharpsburg wounds.
February 12 Major General Charles W. Field was assigned to permanently take over the wounded Hood’s Division.
April 14 – May 6 The regiment lost 6 casualties returning from the Western Theater to Virginia
May 5-6
Battle of the Wilderness

Lieutenant T.T. Fogle of Company G was killed. Lieutenant Henry G. Daniel of Company F was wounded, losing his arm, and would be absent to the end of the war. Lieutenant Samue R. Pitts of Company G was wounded.

May 12-21
Battle of Spotsylvania Court House
June 1 Lieutenant John B. Collum was elected captain of Company H.
June 3
Battle of Cold Harbor

Captain William M. Pitman of Company H was killed. Lieutenant John Basil Collum was elected captain of Company H

July 15 Lieutenant J.F. Burch of Company G was killed near Petersburg.
July 30
The Crater

Lieutenant D.B. Booher of Company G was killed.

August 1 –
December 31
The regiment lost 25 casualties in the Siege of Petersburg/Richmond in 1864
September 29-30
Battle of Chaffin’s Farm (Fort Harrison)

Lieutenant Colonel William S. Shepherd was wounded and left the regiment for the remainder of the war.

November 15 Colonel Butt, disabled at Malvern Hill, retired.
December 23 Major Abner McC. Lewis resigned due to disability due to his wound from Chickamauga.
December 28 Captain Roswell Ellis was appointed Assistant Adjutant General.
February 1 Captain John G. Heard of Company F left for home on a 29 day furlough but was unable to rejoin the regiment on account of Sherman’s invasion of Georgia. He joined a Georgia militia unit until the end of the war.
March 25 Captain Roswell Ellis of Company G retired.
April 9
Appomattox Court House

Surrendered 12 officers and 146 men under the command of Captain Thomas Chaffin.