Confederate Regiments & Batteries > Georgia

History of the 8th Georgia Infantry Regiment in the American Civil War

May 1 Organized at Atlanta, Georgia.

Company A – “Coweta Guards” – Coweta County – Captain Saunders Lee
Company B – Fulton County – Captain Green J. Foreacre
Company C – “Paulding Volunteers” Paulding County – Captain Charles S. Jenkins
Company D – Cobb County – Captain Thomas S. Moyer
Company E – “Dekalb Light Infantry” – Dekalb County – Captain John W. Fowler
Company F – “Iverson Invincibles” – Carroll County – Captain Archibald T. Burke
Company G – “Franklin Volunteers” – Heard County – Captain J.B.E. Brown
Company H – “Roswell Guards” – Cobb County – Captain Thomas E. King
Company I – “Cobb Mountaineers” – Cobb County – Captain William Wilkinson White
Company K – “Davis Infantry” – Fulton County – Captain Wilson J. Ballard

May 29 Accepted into Confederate service at Atlanta, Georgia under the command of Colonel Lucius Jeremiah Gartrell, Lieutenant Colonel James F. Cooper, and Major John Dunwoody.
June 6 Ordered to Harpers Ferry, Virginia and moved by rail on the Western & Atlantic Railroad to Lynchburg, Virginia.
June 7 Moved by rail via Gordonsville on the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Manassas Junction,
June 8 Moved by rail on the Manassas Gap Railroad to Strasburg, Virginia, then marched north on the Valley Turnpike to Winchester.
June 10 Moved by rail on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad to Harpers Ferry, Virginia.
June 15 The regiment’s sick were moved by rail to Winchester.
June 15
Evacuation of Harpers Ferry

Marched to Camp Johnston, near Bull Skin Run, between Charlestown and Winchester,

June 16 Marched to Bunker Hill
June 17 Marched to Camp Defiance at Stephenson’s Depot near Winchester. The 7th Georgia was assigned to the 2nd Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah under the command of Colonel Barton as senior colonel.
June 26 Marched to Hollingsworth Grove southeast of Winchester.
July 18-20 Ordered to Manassas. Marched at 1 p.m. via the Millwood Turnpike, Berry’s Ferry and Ashby’s Gap to Piedmont Station, arriving 11 p.m. the next day. The regiment then moved by rail on the Manassas Gap Railroad to Manassas Junction, leaving at 9 p.m. on the 19th and arriving at 6 a.m. on the 20th. The regiment then marched to the rear of the army between McLean’s and Blackburn’s Fords, on Bull Run.
July 21
Battle of Manassas

Captain S. Moyer of Company D was mortally wounded. Lieutenant Thomas F. Glover of Company G was killed, and Lieutenants Jacob Benton of Company A and J.W. Huston of Company E were mortally wounded.

Captains A. T. Burke, G. J. Foreacre of Company B, Thomas E. King of Compan H and C. S. Jenkins were wounded. Lieutenants Horace Witt and Robert Dillard of Company B and Charles Dunwoody and Benjamin Bishop of Company H were wounded.

July 22 Stationed at Camp Victory, commanded by Colonel J.H. Forney of the 10th Alabama, senior colonel of the brigade.
July 31 Ordered to Camp Bartow at Smith’s Farm, 2 1/2 miles east of Manassas Junction.
August 3 Lieutenant Thomas Pinson of Company A died of typhoid fever.
August 15 John B. Lindley was elected captain of Company D.
August 31 Captain J.B.E. Brown of Company G died.
September 10 Lieutenant C.N. Featherstone was elected captain of Company G.
September 25 The 7th Georgia was assigned to the Second Brigade of Major General G. W. Smith’s Second Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Brigadier General S. A. M. Jones by General Orders No. 31.
November 15 Captain Lee of Company A resigned. Lieutenant George Carmical was elected captain.
December 6 Lieutenant Colonel Cooper resigned. Major John Dunwoody was elected lieutenant colonel.
December 21 Captain Archibal T. Burke of Company F resigned.
December 27 Lieutenant Lemuel B. Anderson of Company C was elected major.
January 3 Colonel Gartrell resigned to serve in the Confederate Congress.
February 13 Commissary William T. Wilson was elected colonel.
March 12 Captain John W. Fowler of Company E resigned due to disability.
May 12 Lieutenant Colonel Dunwoody, Major Anderson, and Captains Foreacre of Company B, Charles S. Jenkins of Company C,  John Lindley of Company D, C.N. Featherstone of Company G, Thomas E. King of Company H and Wilson J. Ballard of Company K were dropped in the reorganization.

Captain William White of Company I was elected lieutenant colonel. Lieutenant Horace Witt was elected captain of Company B, Lieutenant John F. Kiser was elected captain of Company D, Lieutenant Robert B. Hicks was elected captain of Company H and Lieutenant Jonathan J. McClendon was elected captain of Company K.

May 30 Captain Horace Witt of Company B was elected major.
June 25-July 1
Seven Days Battles

The 7th Georgia was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel William W. White, who was wounded, Major E. W. Hoyle who was also wounded, and Captain George H. Carmical.

June 30
Battle of Frasier’s Farm

Lieutenant Aaron A. Butler of Company H was mortally wounded.

July 1
Battle of Malvern Hill

Captain George H. Carmical of Company A was promoted to major. Lieutenant Thomas Hardage was wounded.

August 28-30
Second Battle of Manassas

Colonel William T. Wilson was mortally wounded, Major Carmical was wounded in the knee, and Captain John Kiser of Company D was wounded.

After the battle Lieutenant Colonel William White was elected colonel. Major Carmical was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel.

September 17
Battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam)

From the first of two War Department markers on G.T. Anderson’s Brigade on the Antietam battlefield:

Anderson’s Brigade was bivouacked on either side of the road at this point on the night of September 15, 1862 with skirmishers thrown forward near the Antietam. On the 16th its skirmishers were engaged with those of the Fourth United States Infantry. It remained in this position until the morning of the 17th, when it moved by the left through the ravine and Piper’s cornfield to the Bloody Lane near Roulette’s.

From the second War Department marker on G.T. Anderson’s Brigade at Antietam near the Sunken Road:

On the night of September 16, 1862, Anderson’s Brigade bivouacked on either side of the Boonsboro Turnpike near the end of the Sunken Road. On the morning of the 17th it advanced by the way of the ravine and Piper’s cornfield to and beyond this point, but being forced back, formed line a few feet north of this on the right of Rodes’ Brigade. It withstood several charges of Richardson’s Division, Sumner’s Corps, but shortly after noon, was compelled to retire in the direction of Sharpsburg. It reformed on the Hagerstown Pike, southwest of Piper’s House, and assisted in checking the Federal advance in that direction.

September 26 Captain Jonathan McClendon of Company K resigned.
October Lieutenant James Cooper was elected captain of Company C.
December 13
Battle of Fredericksburg

The regiment was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel George H. Carmichael.

February 2 Major Horace Witt resigned. Captain Moses T. Almon was elected major.
February 6 Lieutenant William J. Hudson was promoted to captain of Company I.
May Assigned to George T. Anderson’s Brigade, Hood’s Division, Longstreet’s First Corps
Sufolk Campaign

Major Almond was wounded

July 2 & 3
Battle of Gettysburg

The regiment was commanded by Colonel William Wilkinson White and brought 348 men to the field. It lost 5 men killed, 10 wounded, and 6 missing. Lieutenant Charles K. Maddox of Company H was wounded.

From the War Department marker for G. T. Anderson’s Brigade at Gettysburg:

July 2. Reached the field about 4 P. M. and formed line. The 7th Regiment was sent southward to watch the Union Cavalry. The others charged into the woods south of Wheatfield and dislodged the Union line from the stone fence. Being outflanked on left retired to crest of Rose Hill. Reinforced by parts of other Brigades they again advanced. The brigades advanced a third time and after a struggle occupied the woodland to its border in Plum Run Valley.

July 3. The Brigade was sent down Emmitsburg Road and assisted in repulsing and holding in check Union cavalry which sought to flank the division

July 4. Assisted in constructing works to protect the flank.

July 5. About 5 a.m. began the march to Hagerstown, Md.

July 13-14 Recrossed the Potomac on the return to Virginia.
September Transferred with Hood’s Division to the Army of East Tennessee.
September 19 The regiment arrived from the east too late to be involved in the Battle of Chickamauga.
Siege of Chattanooga
Siege of Knoxville
December 4
Battle of Knoxville

Lieutenant Colonel Carmical was wounded four times in one minute

December 5 The regiment withdrew from Knoxville to the northeast.
December 6 To Rutledge.
December 9 To Rogersville.
December 14
Bean’s Station
January 21 Lieutanent Charles Maddox was elected captain of Company K.
April Returned to Virginia and assigned to G.T. Anderson’s Brigade, Field’s Division, First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
May 5-6
Battle of the Wilderness

Brigadier General Benning was wounded in the shoulder on May 5. Colonel Du Bose of the 15th Georgia took command of the brigade. Captain John Kiser of Company D was wounded.

May 12-21
Battle of Spotsylvania Court House
June 3
Battle of Cold Harbor

Captain William J. Hudson of Company I was wounded.

June 28 Captain Charles Maddox of Company K was wounded.
July 27 Colonel White retired. Lieutenant Colonel Carmical was elected colonel and Major Moses Alman was promoted to lieutenant colonel. Captain John Kiser of Company D was elected major. Lieutenant Thomas Hardage was elected captain of Company D.
August 16
Fussel’s Mill

Colonel Carmical was badly wounded in the face.

September 16 Captain James N. Cooper of Company C deserted.
September 29-30
Battle of Chaffin’s Farm (Fort Harrison)

Lieutenant Hugh Norman of Company E was killed. Captain William J. Hudson of Company H was wounded.

October 5
Battle of Darbytown Road

Captain Thomas Hardage of Company D was wounded.

February 5 Captain Rober B. Hisks was listed as being Absent Without Leave.
April 9
Appomattox Court House

The 7th Georgia Infantry Regiment surrendered  24 officers and 164 men under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Moses T. Alman.