Confederate Regiments & Batteries > Georgia

June Formed at Richmond, Virginia
July 3 Organized under the command of Colonel Edward Johnson, a Virginian, with Zephaniah T. Conner as Lieutenant Colonel, Abner Smeade as Major and Edward Willis as Adjutant.

The companies consisted of:

Company A –  “Muckalee Guards,” Sumter county, Captain Hawkins.
Company B  – “Jones Volunteers,” Jones county, Captain Pitts.
Company C – “Davis Rifles,” Macon county, Captain McMillan.
Company D – “Calhoun Rifles,” Calhoun county, Captain Furlow.
Company E – “Muscogee Rifles,” Muscogee county, Captain Scott.
Company F – “Davis Guards,” Dooly county, Captain Brown.
Company G -“Putnam Light Infantry,” Putnam county, Captain Davis.
Company H – “Central City Blues,” Bibb county, Captain Rodgers.
Company I – “Lowndes Volunteers,” Lowndes county, Captain Patterson.
Company K – “Marion Guards,” Marion county, Captain Blandford.

July 7 Moved by train from Richmond to Staunton.
July 8 Arrived in Staunton and camped
July 9 Broke camp and began the march west to Laurel Hill.
July 14 Reached Greenbriar Creek at the foot of Rich Mountain after a march of 72 miles. Received news of the Confederate defeat at Rich Mountain and after a meal and after a short rest began to retreat.
July 15 Marched through the night and all the next day, reaching Monterey, about 45 miles from Staunton.
July 18 Moved to an encampment on top of Allegheny Mountainand Assigned to Brigadier General Henry R. Jackson’s command.
October 3
Battle of Greenbriar River (Camp Bartow)
December 13
Battle of Allegheny Mountain (Camp Allegheny)

Colonel Johnson was in command of the five regiments of his brigade as senior colonel. When Union forces attacked the Confederates in their mountain-top encampment on Allegheny Mountain, Johnson was conspicuous in the front lines rallying his men with a musket in one hand and “swinging a big club” in the other. Johnston drove off the attacking Union force, capturing a number of prisoners. The victory saw Johnson promoted to brigadier general and given the nickname, “Old Clubby.”

Lieuteant Colonel Conner was promoted to colonel and took command of the regiment.

Jackson’s Shenandoah Valley Campaign

Atached to Elzey’s Brigade, Ewell’s Division, Army of the Northwest

May 8
Battle of McDowell

The regiment lost 35 men killed and 140 wounded. Captain Mark Blandford was wounded, losing his arm.

May 30
Second Battle of Front Royal

The regiment, mustering 400 men, was detached to guard the supply depot at Front Royal. It,was surprised by Union forces under General Nathan Kimball. It was driven out of the town after setting the warehouse on fire. Colonel Connor abandoned the regiment and was arrested in Winchester by Jackson. Major Willis Hawkins ordered the regiment to surrender but was ignored; Jackson arrested him for cowardice. Captain William F. Brown led the survivors in withdrawing out of town, across both branches of the Shenandoah to Guard Hill. The regiment lost 128 men captured, After the arrest of Colonel Connor, Captain James G. Rodgers took command of the regiment.

June 8-9
Battles of Cross Keys-Port Republic

Captain James G. Rodgers was in command of the regiment.

June 15 Skirmish near Seven Pines
June 25 – July 1 Seven Days Battles
June 26
Beaver Dam Creek
June 27
Gaines’ Mill
June 30
White Oak Swamp
July 1
Malvern Hill

Brigadier General Jubal Early took command of the brigade.

August The 12th Georgia was transferred from Early’s Brigade, all of whose other regiments were Virginia regiments, to the brigade of Brigadier General Isaac Trimble in Ewell’s Division, Jackson’s Command.
August 9
Battle of Cedar Mountain
 August 28
Battle of Groveton

The 12th Georgia was commanded by Captain James G. Rogers. It lost 45 men.

 August 29-30
Second Battle of Manassas
September 17
Battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam)

Commanded by Captain James G. Rogers, who had the fingers of his left hand shot off and was wounded in the thigh before being killed by a shot to the back of his head. Captain John T. Carson took over command. The regiment lost 59 men.

September 19-20
Battle of Shepherdstown (Botler’s Ford)
 December 13
Battle of Fredericksburg
 Late December Captain Edward Willis was appointed colonel and took command of the regiment.
January 19 The 12th Georgia was transferred to Doles’ Brigade, D.H. Hill’s Division, Second Corps.
January 24 Captain Mark H. Blandford of Company K was promoted to lieutenant colonel.
April 29 The regiment was camped at Fredericksburg near Dickerson House, with a strength of around 400 men. Left the camp around 8 a.m. and reached Hamilton’s Crossing on the Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac railroad at about noon.
May 1
Battle of Chancellorsville

Moved at about 3 o’clock on the morning down the road leading west towards Chancellorsville. Formed line of battle around 2 p.m. and advanced through the woods, when the regiment’s skirmishers met the Federal skirmishers. Returned to the road after about an hour, having captured four prisoners.

Moved at sunset about two miles and bivouacked on the south side of the plank road.

May 2
Battle of Chancellorsville (continued)

Moved at around 7 o’clock a.m., leading the brigade. Left the plank road after about a mile and made a detour to the left, and about 1 p.m. took a dirt road leading east from the Sims’ House towards Chancellorsville. After advancing another 3/4 mile formed line of battle, the left of the brigade resting on the road.

About 5 p.m. the line was advanced. Due to the rapid and irregular march and the topography it was almost impossible to preserve the continuity of the line, and the regiment’s left became detached from Colonel Mercer’s right. Colonel Willis made a rapid oblique march towards the left to fill the interval. The regiment emerged into the open field and were met with heavy discharges of grape. At this time they found that they had become separated from Colquitt’s Brigade on their right.

The regiment formed an oblique line of battle and charged the guns.. As they reached the summit of the hill the Federals abandoned their guns and position, and General Doles ordered the regiment through the thicket to push the retreating enemy. They did so for a half a mile before realizing that they had advanced far ahead of the line and their flanks were unsupported. As night was falling, Colonel Willis withdrew under heavy shelling and sheltered in a protected position until nightfall allowed them to withdraw and resume a position on the flank of the brigade.

May 3
Battle of Chancellorsville (continued)

Formed line of battle at about 6 o’clock a.m. and moved forward through thick woods and uneven ground under a heavy musketry fire. Joined McGowan’s Brigade fighting behind a breastwork until the command was given to charge. Pushed forward through the woods and up the hill, flanking the Federal position and routing the defenders.

The regiment then retired and replenished ammunition. Most of the men rested the remainder of the afternoon, except when acting as provost guard. Marched around sunset down the plank road towards Chancellorsville. Halted after about a mile, formed line of battle on the right side of the road, and spent the night constructing a light field work.

May 4
Battle of Chancellorsville (continued)

Major Hardeman temporarily took command while Colonel Willis was detailed for a special purpose. The regiment moved off by the left flank and occupied a partially entrenched position. Captain J. N. Beale, of Company B led the brigade skirmish line, which advanced at sunset and held its position through the night.

May 5
Battle of Chancellorsville (continued)

Captain Beale’s skirmish line was ordered to advance and probe the Federal position. It advanced under heavy fire to within 200 yards of the enemy before withdrawing, having ascertained that the position was held in large numbers and well defended.

During the entire battle the regiment lost 12 men killed, 58 wounded and 2 missing. Second Lieutenant J.W. Cantrell of Company K was killled and Captain J.M. Briggs of company I was badly wounded.

May 6 – 7 Returned to the regiment’s original encampment at Dickerson House outside Frederick, which it reached after an exhausting night march which Colonel Willis complained was “calculated, in my opinion, to subvert discipline and utterly demoralize troops. Not one-half of the men could keep up, and complete disorganization, disregard for authority, and perfect exhaustion were the inevitable results.”
May 7 Robert Rodes, who had been commanding the division in D.H. Hill’s absence as senior brigadier, was promoted to major general and was given permanent command of the division.
June 9 Lieutenant Colonel Blandford resigned to take his seat after being elected to Congress. Captain John T. Carson of Company C was promoted to major
July 1-4
Battle of Gettysburg

The regiment was commanded by Colonel Edward S. Willis and brought 327 men to the field. It lost 12 men killed, 28 wounded and 13 missing.

From the War Department monument to Rodes’ Brigade at Gettysburg:

July 1. About 1 P. M. the Brigade formed line in the fields east of Oak Hill and skirmished with Union 2nd Brigade First Cavalry Division and aided Gordon’s Brigade in dislodging the Union forces from Barlow Knoll and their line from thence to the Heidlersburg Road. Then joined Ramseur and others in their attack upon the rear of First Corps which after a long struggle was compelled to retire from Seminary Ridge. The Brigade took many prisoners from the First and Eleventh Corps which it pursued to the southern borders of the town.

July 2. Lay all day in the town on West Middle Street. After dark moved out to aid in a contemplated attack on Cemetery Hill.

July 3. In line with other brigades in the sunken road southwest of town.

July 4. On Seminary Ridge all day. At night began the march to Hagerstown.

October Bristoe Campaign
November-December Mine Run Campaign
May 5-6
Battle of the Wilderness

Colonel Willis was wounded in the thigh,

May 12-21
Battle of Spotsylvania Court House

Major Carson was captured.

May 31
Battle of Mechanicsville (Bethesda Church)

Colonel Willis was mortally wounded.

Shenandoah Valley Campaign

Sent to the Shenandoah Valley as part of Early’s Army of the Valley attached to Doles’ Brigade, Rodes’ Division, Army of the Valley

June 17-18
Battle of Lynchburg
June 19-21 Pursuit of Hunter
June 22 Day of rest at Salem
June 23-26 Advance into the Shenandoah Valley to Staunton
June 28-July 2 Advance from Staunton to near Harpers Ferry
July 5-6 Crossed the Potomac at Boteler’s Ford and advances to west of Frederick. Major Carson was exchanged and returned to the regiment.
July 9
Battle of Monocacy
July 10 The advance on Washington continued through an extremely hot day.
July 11-12 Battle of Fort Stevens
July 13-15 Left Washington, crossed the Potomac at White’s Ford, and marched across Loudon County.
July 16 Crossed the Blue Ridge at Snickers Gap to Berryville
July 19 Moved to Strasburg
July 24 Second Battle of Kernstown
August 3 Colonel Cobb was exchanged and returned to the regiment.
August 8 At Bunker Hill
August 10 To Winchester. Colonel Philip Cook of the 4th Georgia Infantry was promoted to brigadier general and took permanent command of the brigade. Colonel Cook had been in temporary command as senior colonel since the death of Brigadier General Doles on June 2.
August 12 To Fisher’s Hill
August 17 Returned to Winchester and Bunker Hill.
August 22 To Charles Town
August 25-26 Feint toward Williamsport and return to Bunker Hill.
September 5 To Winchester
September 19
Third Battle of Winchester

Major Carson was wounded three times. He would die in a Lynchburg hospital on the 30th.

September 22
Battle of Fisher’s Hill
October 19
Battle of Cedar Creek

Major Anderson was wounded.

Petersburg Siege

The regiment returned from the Army of the Valley to Lee’s main army around Petersburg, attached to Cook’s Brigade, Rodes’ Division (Brig. Gen. Bryan Grimes), Second Corps, Army of Northern Virginia.

March 25
Fort Stedman
April 9
Appomattox Court House

Five officers and 60 enlisted men surrendered.

Captains: Isaac Hardeman (B), John McMullen (c), Wm. L. Furlow (D), T. B. Scott (E), Wm. F. Brown (F), R. T. Davis (G), J. G. Rodgers (H), J. W. Patterson (I), Mark H. Blanford (K). He was followed in succession by Z. T. Conner and Edward Willis, whose commission as brigadier-general came the day after his death, in the spring of 1864. Lieutenant-Colonel Conner was succeeded by Abner Snead, T. B. Scott (killed), Willis A. Hawkins, Mark H. Blanford and J. Hardeman. When Major Hawkins was promoted to lieutenant-colonel, he was succeeded by Edward Willis Hardeman and J. T. Carson. The first captain of Company A was succeeded by Lieut. Samuel Dawson, and he on his death in action by S. G. Prior. Captain Hardeman was followed by Joseph N. Beall; McMullen (killed) by T. W. Harris; Furlow (killed) by D. D. Peden; Scott by James A. Whitesider; William F. Brown (killed), by James Everett; Davis (died) by A. S. Reid; Rodgers by Oliver T. Evans; Patterson (killed) by James M. Briggs, and Blanford (promoted) by R. McMichael.