Confederate Regiments & Batteries > Georgia

May The 8th Georgia Infantry Regment was formed in Richmond from independent Georgia companies.

Company A – “Rome Light Guard” – Floyd County – Captain E. J. Magruder
Company B – “Oglethorpe Light Infantry” – Chatham County – Captain Joseph J. West
Company C – “Macon Guards” – Bibb County – Captain Lucius M. Lamar
Company D – “Echols Guards” – Meriwether County – Captain C.W. Howard
Company E – “Miller Rifles” – Floyd County – Captain John R. Towers
Company F – “Atlanta Greys” – Fulton County – Captain Thomas L. Cooper
Company G – “Pulaski Volunteers” – Pulaski County – Captain T.D. Lawrence Ryan
Company H – “Floyd Infantry” – Floyd County – Captain John F. Cooper
Company I – “Greene (or Stephens) Light Guards”  – Greene County – Captain George O. Dawson
Company K – “Oglethorpe Rifles” – Oglethorpe County – Captain George Lumpkin

June 1 The regiment was organised at Camp Georgia, near Fairfield Racecourse, opposite Howard’s Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike outside Richmond, Virginia. It was under the command of Colonel Francis S. Bartow, Lieutenant Colonel William M. Gardner (West Point Class of 1846), and Major Thomas L. Cooper.
June 5 – 6 Moved by rail on the Virginia Central Railroad, leaving Richmond at 1:30 p.m. for Gordonsville, then by the Orange & Alexandria Railroad to Manassas Junction, arriving at 1 a.m. The regiment then moved by rail at 2 p.m. on the Manassas Gap Railroad for Strasburg, arriving at 7 p.m. They then marched down the Valley Pike to Winchester.
June 9 Moved by rail on the Winchester & Potomac Railroad to Harpers Ferry.
June 15
Evacuation of Harpers Ferry

Marched to Camp Johnston, near Bull Skin Run, between Charlestown and Winchester. The regiment’s sick were moved by rail to Winchester.

June 16 Marched to Bunker Hill
June 17 Marched to Camp Defiance at Stephenson’s Depot near Winchester. Colonel Barton took command of the 2nd Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah as senior colonel. Lieutenant Colonel Gardner took command of the regiment.
June 26 Marched to Hollingsworth Grove southeast of Winchester.
July 4 Lieutenant James T. Lewis was elected captain of Company F.
July 18-20 Ordered to Manassas. Marched at 1 p.m. via the Millwood Turnpike, Berry’s Ferry and Ashby’s Gap to Piedmont Station, arriving 11 p.m. the next day. The regiment then moved by rail on the Manassas Gap Railroad to Manassas Junction, leaving at 9 p.m. on the 19th and arriving at 6 a.m. on the 20th. The regiment then marched to the rear of the army between McLean’s and Blackburn’s Fords, on Bull Run.
July 21
Battle of Manassas

Colonel Bartow took command of the brigade as senior colonel while Lieutenant Colonel Gardner commanded the regiment. The 8th Georgia began the battle stationed at the rear of McLean’s and Blackburn’s Fords on Bull Run. It was moved to Henry House Hill, then Colonel Bartow advanced to support Evans on Matthew Hill. After suffering heavy casualties the regiment withdrew around noon back to Henry House Hill.

Colonel Bartow then led them in an attack and was killed by a bullet to the chest. Lieutenant Colonel Gardner was badly wounded in the leg, and Major Cooper took command.

The regiment lost 42 men killed and 159 wounded, a total of 201. Captain C. W. Howard of Company D and Adjutant John L. Branch were killed. Captain John F. Cooper of Company H and Lieutenant Bartley M. Smith of Company F were mortally wounded. Lieutenants A. F. Butler of Company B and Edward W. Hull of Company D were wounded.

The 8th Georgia is referenced by a trailside marker on Matthews Hill on the Manassas battlefield.

July 22 Stationed at Camp Victory, in the brigade commanded by Colonel J.H. Forney of the 10th Alabama, senior colonel of the brigade.
July 31 Ordered to Camp Bartow at Smith’s Farm, 2 1/2 miles east of Manassas Junction. Lieutenant H. E. Malone was elected captain of Company D.
August 1 Captain Joseph J. West of Company B resigned and was appointed Surgeon, C.S.A. and Captain George Lumpkin of Company K resigned. Lieutenant Jacob Phinizie was elected captain of Company K as his replacement.
September 1 Lieutenant Hamilton Couper was elected captain of Company B.
September 4 Lieutenant Colonel William Gardner was promoted to colonel but his wound, at one time believed fatal, prevented him from returning to field service. Major Thomas L. Cooper was elected lieutenant colonel.
September 12 Captain Lucius Lamar of Company C was promoted to major. Lieutenant E.A. Wilcox was elected captain of Company C.
September 15 Lieutenant John H. Reece was elected captain of Company H.
September 25 The 8th Georgia was assigned to the Second Brigade of Major General G. W. Smith’s Second Corps, Army of the Potomac, under the command of Brigadier General Samuel A. M. Jones by General Orders No. 31.
October 1 Captain John H. Reece f Company H resigned.
November 8 Captain Hamilton Couper of Company B was killed at Centreville.
November 14 Colonel Gardner was promoted to brigadier general.
December 17 Lieutenant A.F. Burler was elected captain of Company B.
December 20 Lieutenant George N. Yarbrough was elected captain of Company H.
December 24 Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Cooper was killed in a fall from his horse. Major Lucius Lamar was elected lieutenant colonel.
January 28 Lieutenant Colonel Lucius M. Lamar was elected colonel, Captain John R. Towers of Company E was elected lieutenant colonel, and Captain E. J. Magruder of Company A was elected major.
February 10-13 Lieutenant S.H. Hall was elected captain of Company A and Lieutenant Dunlap S. Scott was elected captain of Company E.
June 25-July 1
Seven Days Battles
June 28
Savage Station

Colonel Lucius M. Lamar was badly wounded and captured. He would not return to the regiment, and Captain George O. Dawson took command. Lieutenant Thomas J. Blackwell of Company H was wounded.

July 1 Captain James T. Lewis of Company F resigned due to disability.
July 26 Lieutenant Seymour B. Love was elected captain of Company F.
August 10 Captain Seymour B. Love of Company F resigned. Lieutenant Jennings M.C. Hulsey was elected captain as his replacement.
August 22
Catlett’s Station

Lieutenant B.A. Christopher was wounded.

August 28-30
Second Battle of Manassas

The regiment was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel John R. Towers. Captain Jennings M.C. Hulsey of Company F and Captain Jacob Phinizie of Company K were killed. Captain George O. Dawson of Company I was wounded.

Lieutenant Thornberry J. Bowling was elected captain of Company K.

Maryland Campaign
September 17
Battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam)

The regiment was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel John R. Towers. Ensign S.B. Barnwell was killed.

From the first of two War Department markers on G.T. Anderson’s Brigade on the Antietam battlefield:

Anderson’s Brigade was bivouacked on either side of the road at this point on the night of September 15, 1862 with skirmishers thrown forward near the Antietam. On the 16th its skirmishers were engaged with those of the Fourth United States Infantry. It remained in this position until the morning of the 17th, when it moved by the left through the ravine and Piper’s cornfield to the Bloody Lane near Roulette’s.

From the second War Department marker on G.T. Anderson’s Brigade at Antietam near the Sunken Road:

On the night of September 16, 1862, Anderson’s Brigade bivouacked on either side of the Boonsboro Turnpike near the end of the Sunken Road. On the morning of the 17th it advanced by the way of the ravine and Piper’s cornfield to and beyond this point, but being forced back, formed line a few feet north of this on the right of Rodes’ Brigade. It withstood several charges of Richardson’s Division, Sumner’s Corps, but shortly after noon, was compelled to retire in the direction of Sharpsburg. It reformed on the Hagerstown Pike, southwest of Piper’s House, and assisted in checking the Federal advance in that direction.

October D. R. Jones’ Division was broken up due to Jones’ soon-to-be fatal heart disease. The regiment was assigned to George T. Anderson’s Brigade, Hood’s Division, Longstreet’s Command.
December 13
Battle of Fredericksburg

The regiment was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel John R. Towers.

December 16 Lieutenant Colonel John R. Towers was elected colonel. Major E. J. Magruder was elected lieutenant colonel and Captain George O. Dawson of Company I was elected major. Lieutenant Thomas J. Blackwell was elected captain of Company I.
March 20 Captain T.D. Lawrence Ryan of Company G resigned due to ulceration of his leg. Lieutenant John A. Young was elected captain as his replacement.
May Assigned to George T. Anderson’s Brigade, Hood’s Division, Longstreet’s First Corps
Sufolk Campaign
July 2 & 3
Battle of Gettysburg

The regiment was commanded by Colonel John R. Towers and brought 312 men to the field. It lost 35 men killed, 108 wounded and 29 missing in fighting around The Wheatfield.

Captain George N. Yarbrough of Company H and Lieutenant Ben Gilham were killed, Captain John A. Young of Company G and Lieutenant Frederick Bliss of Company B were mortally wounded. Major George O. Dawson, Captain Ballard and Lieutenant J.C. Reid of Company I and Adjutant William F. Shellman were wounded. Captains A. F. Butler of Company B, H. E. Malone of Company E and Lieutenant Sandford W. Branch of Company B were wounded and captured.

From the War Department marker for G. T. Anderson’s Brigade at Gettysburg:

July 2. Reached the field about 4 P. M. and formed line. The 7th Regiment was sent southward to watch the Union Cavalry. The others charged into the woods south of Wheatfield and dislodged the Union line from the stone fence. Being outflanked on left retired to crest of Rose Hill. Reinforced by parts of other Brigades they again advanced. The brigades advanced a third time and after a struggle occupied the woodland to its border in Plum Run Valley.

July 3. The Brigade was sent down Emmitsburg Road and assisted in repulsing and holding in check Union cavalry which sought to flank the division

July 4. Assisted in constructing works to protect the flank.

July 5. About 5 a.m. began the march to Hagerstown, Md.

July 13-14 Recrossed the Potomac on the return to Virginia.
September Transferred with Hood’s Division to the Army of East Tennessee.
September 19
Battle of Chickamauga
Siege of Chattanooga
Siege of Knoxville
November 29
Battle of Fort Sanders

Captain S. H. Hall of Company A was mortally wounded. James T. Moore was elected captain as his replacement.

December 5 Withdrew from Knoxville to the northeast.
December 6 To Rutledge.
December 9 To Rogersville.
December 14
Bean’s Station
April Returned to Virginia and assigned to G.T. Anderson’s Brigade, Field’s Division, First Corps, Army of Northern Virginia
May 5-6
Battle of the Wilderness

Brigadier General Benning was wounded in the shoulder on May 5 and Colonel Du Bose of the 15th Georgia took command of the brigade. Captain Thomas J. Blackwell  of Company H was killed.

Lieutenant John C. Reid was elected captain of Company H.

May 12-21
Battle of Spotsylvania Court House
June 3
Battle of Cold Harbor
June 21 Lieutenant Colonel E. J. Magruder was wounded and disabled. He would not return to the regiment.
August 16
Deep Bottom

Captain Thornberry J. Bowling of Company K was badly wounded and would not return to the regiment.

September 29-30
Battle of Chaffin’s Farm
October 7
Battle of Darbytown Road

Captain James T. Moore of Company A was wounded. He would not return to the regiment.

April 9
Appomattox Court House

The 8th Georgia Infantry Regiment surrendered 14 officers and 139 enlisted men under the command of Colonel John R. Towers.