United States Regiments & Batteries > New York > 16th New York Infantry Regiment

The 16th New York Infantry Regiment lost 5 officers and 106 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded and 1 officer and 85 enlisted men to disease during the Civil War.

April 24-May 9 Organized at Albany, N.Y., and accepted by the state.
May 15 The 16th New York Infantry Regiment mustered in for two years United States sevice under Colonel Thomas A. Davies (West Point Class of 1829, graduating with Robert E. Lee), Lieutenant Colonel Samuel Marsh and Major Buel Palmer
May 30 Moved to Camp Morgan at Bethlehem. Armed with pattern 1842 smoothbore muskets, calibre 69.
June 25 Left for New York on the steamship McDonald and two towed barges
June 26 Arrived New York City and marched through town to Washington parade ground, where it received its colors from Mrs. Joseph Howland, then marched down Broadway to embark.
June 27 Moved by transport to Elizabethport, then by rail on the New Jersey Central to Easton, then on to Harrisburg
June 28 Continue by train to Baltimore.
June 29 Reached Washington at 11 a.m. Placed in camp of instruction 3/4 mile from the capitol
July 10 Attached to Davies’ Brigade, Miles’ Division, McDowell’s Army of Northeast Virginia. Lieutenant Colonel Samuel Marsh commanded the regiment while Colonel Thomas Davies was given command of the brigade.
July 11 Crossed the Potomac from the Navy Yard, landed at Alexandria and camped outside Fort Ellsworth
July 14 Reconnaissance from Alexandria on Fairfax Road.
July 16-21 Advance on Manassas, Virginia.
July 17 Left camp for Fairfax Court House
July 21

Battle of Bull Run (Manassas)

The regiment was in reserve. First Lieutenant Wilson Hopkins was wounded, the only casualty. It was orderd to withdraw to Alexandria during the night.

July 22 Returned to camp near Fort Ellsworth.
August Duty in the Defenses of Washington attached to Heintzelman’s Brigade, Division of the Potomac
September 15 Moved to Fort Lyon and attached to Slocum’s Brigade, Franklin’s Division, Army of the Potomac
October 3 Expedition to Pohick Church
October 7 Moved to Camp Franklin
November 11 Major Buel Palmer was dismissed and Captain Joel J. Seaver of Company I was promoted to major
March 7 Colonel Thomas Davies was promoted to brigadier general for gallant conduct at Blackburn Ford. Adjutant Joseph Howland was promoted to colonel. Attached to 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 1st Corps, Army of the Potomac
March 10-15 Advance on Manassas, Virginia
March 20 Captain John L. Stetson of Company E resigned to become lieutenant colonel of 59th New York Infantry Regiment
April 4-12 McDowell’s advance on Fredericksburg, Va. Attached to 1st Division, Department of the Rappahannock
April 6 Moved by rail to Manassas Junction, then marched to Catlett’s Station.
April 9 Returned by rail to Alexandria.
April 19

Peninsula Campaign

Embarked on Daniel Webster No. 2 for Ship Point, Virginia

April 22 Arrived on the Virginia Peninsula
April 24

Siege of Yorktown

April 30 Captain Frank Palmer of Company C was promoted to major
May 3 Re-embarked and moved to Yorktown.
May 6 Moved up river to West Point, landing at Brick House Point.
May 7-8

West Point

The regiment supported Ayer’s Battery, with four companies engaged as skirmishers. It lost 6 men killed and 1 officer and 10 enlisted men wounded. After the fight the regiment advanced three miles to Eltham.

May 15 Marched to Cumberland
May 16 Continued to White House
May 17 Advanced to Tunstall’s Station
May 18 Attached to 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 6th Corps
May 20 Crossed the Chickahominy
May 22 Near Mechanicsville
June 25-July 1

Seven days before Richmond

June 27

Gaines Mill

The regiment, wearing straw hats donated by a friend, retook two guns lost to the Confederates. It lost 3 officers and 55 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded, including Lieutenant Colonel Marsh, who died of his wounds on July 4. Seven officers and 166 enlisted men were wounded.

June 29

Savage Station

Crossed White Oak Swamp and camped near Charles City Cross Roads

June 30

White Oak Swamp and Glendale

The regiment supported the 1st Massachusetts Battery, losing 2 enlisted men killed, and 1 officer and 6 men wounded to friendly fire from Hexamer’s New Jersey Battery.

July 1

Malvern Hill

The regiment was in reserve and suffered no casualties.

July 3 Reached Harrison’s Landing
July 4 Lieutenant Colonel Marsh died of his wounds from Gaines Mill. Major Seaver was promoted to lieutenant colonel and Captain Frank Palmer of Company C was promoted to major
August 16-28 Movement to Fortress Monroe, then to Centreville
August 16 Marched to Charles City Court House.
August 17 Crossed the Chickahominy at Barnett’s Ford on pontoon bridge.
August 18 Moved to Williamsburg.
August 19 To Yorktown. Embarked on steamship New Brunswick for Alexandria.
August 24

Pope’s Northern Virginia Campaign

Landed at Alexandria and marched to Fort Lyon

August 28 Moved to Annadale
August 30 To Fairfax, Centreville and Crib Run, picketing Warrenton Turnpike that night.
August 31 Fell back to Centreville, then Fairfax Court House, covering Pope’s retreat from Bull Run.
September 1 Returned to Alexandria and Fort Lyon.
September 6-22

Maryland Campaign

September 6 Crossed the Potomac via the Long Bridge and moved through Georgetown to Tennallytown.
September 7 Moved in the evening to Rockville.
September 8 Marched through Rockville at late morning and continued until night.
September 9 Moved through Darnestown and camped.
September 10 To Portsville
September 12 Marched through Hyattstown to Urbania, guarding the division baggage train.
September 13 Continued through Buckeytown
September 14

South Mountain

The regiment led the advance up the mountain at Crampton’s Gap and over the crest, capturing the colors of an Alabama regiment. It lost 1 officer and 25 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded, including the color-bearer, and 2 officers and 35 enlisted men wounded.

Private James Allen of Company F was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions in capturing a group of Confederate soldiers. “Single-handed and slightly wounded he accosted a squad of 14 Confederate soldiers bearing the colors of the 16th Georgia Infantry (C.S.A.). By an imaginary ruse he secured their surrender and kept them at bay when the regimental commander discovered him and rode away for assistance.” The story and Allen’s photo is on the Medal of Honor Recipients wayside marker in Crampton’s Gap.

September 17

Battle of Antietam

The 16th New York Infantry Regiment moved through Roversville and Bueana Vista, arriving on the field at noon, passing through Keedysville and taking up a position near the Dunker Church. The regiment was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Joel J. Seaver and was not engaged but lost 3 enlisted men wounded, one mortally, to sharpshooters.

From the War Department tablet for Slocum’s Division on the Antietam battlefield:

Slocum’s Division followed Smith’s in its march from near Crampton’s Pass on the morning of the 17th, and upon reaching the field, occupied the ground from which Smith was advancing; Torbert’s Brigade in the center on either side of this road; Newton’s Brigade on the right connecting with Hancock, and Bartlett’s Brigade on the left, extending beyond the cemetery and into the low ground between Mumma’s and Roulette’s. Beyond supporting the Artillery the Division was not actively engaged.

September 20 Marched through Sharpsburg and camped near the river at Williamsport.
September 22 Moved to Bakersville.
September 28 Colonel Joseph Howland resiged and was appointed Assistant Adjutant General of Volunteers.
September 29 Lieutenant Colonel Seaver was promoted to colonel, Major Palmer promoted to lieutenant colonel and Captain John C. Gilmore of Company F promoted to major
September – October Duty in Maryland
October 31 Moved to Crampton’s Gap
November 1 To Berlin
November 2 Crossed the Potomac on pontoon bridge at Berlin and marched through Lovettsville.
November 4 Continued to Belle Plain Landing.
November 10 Marched to the Rappahannock near Pollock’s Mills.
November 21 Captain Martin Curtis mustered out to become lieutenant colonel of the 142nd New York Infantry Regiment
December 12-15

Battle of Fredericksburg

The regiment crossed on the lower bridges and took position to the left of General Meade, but was not engaged and lost no casualties.

December 15 Recrossed the Potomac and marched 16 miles to camp.
December 19 Went into winter camp.
January 20-24

“Mud March”

January 21 Captain Albert Barney of Company E was discharged to become colonel of the 142nd New York Infantry Regiment
February – April At Falmouth
April 27-May 6

Chancellorsville Campaign

April 29-May 2 Operations about Franklin’s Crossing
April 29 Moved to Pollock’s Mills and crossed the Rappahannock in pontoon boats under fire, driving Confederates from their rifle pits
May 3-4

Salem Heights

The regiment marched through Fredericksburg and toward Salem Church, taking position on the front right of the battle line. It lost 1 officer and 35 enlisted men killed or mortally wounded, 5 officers and 96 enlisted men wounded, and 17 enlisted men missing or captured.

Major John Curtis Gilmore earned the Medal of Honor when he “Seized the colors of his regiment and gallantly rallied his men under a very severe fire.”

May 4 Recrossed the river at Banks’ Ford
May 10 Orderd home to muster out. Left Falmouth by railroad, travelling though Philadelphia to New York and Albany. Three years men under the command of Captain G. S. Hall were transferred to the 121st New York Infantry.
May 15 The 16th New York Infantry Regiment mustered out at Albany on expiration of its term of enlistment under the command of Colonel Seaver, Lieutenant Colonel Palmer and Major Gilmore.